DS(8) and DD3(6) spent this rainy day engrossed in...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

DS(8) and DD3(6) spent this rainy day engrossed in...

Post by Marylou »

wordsearches and crosswords! :shock:

All online of course, courtesy of a superb moderated website called Bin Weevils which DS heard about and decided to try. It is a free online game for kids where they can play games including crosswords and word searches to earn Mulch (the Bin Weevils currency). This allows them to buy things to furnish and decorate their "nest" and feed their "bin pet". It's a bit like Club Penguin, except that it is completely free and the tasks are more intellectually challenging.

Of course, the benefits were immediately clear to someone who still has two more to put through the VR mill. :wink: DD needed a bit of help but DS was only too willing to oblige with his greater knowledge and experience. :lol: In turn I was able to help with some of the words he did not know or couldn't find. All with the motivation of building a nest for a pet bug!

All in all a very clever and stimulating little game, and a constructive way to spend a few rainy hours (is it really another week and a half until the primary schools go back???)
Marylou
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks for the recommendation Marylou.

My (too old??) children have just been on it for at least the last 30 mins - we had never heard of it before.

It does look like a lot of fun whilst being educational. Unfortunately, literally within the first minute of my two being registered, there was bad language from other weevils (!). It wasn't too bad at all for my two, but it was inappropriate for younger children IMO (the word for a female dog).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

OMG thanks for that report! :shock: I'll keep a close watch when they are online with other weevils! TBH they've been more interested in buying fireplaces to make their stately weevil homes cosy (hence the need for my help to complete the crosswords) and I haven't actually seen too many other weevils online with them, but the site is supposed to be moderated so will def. try and check out what is going on and report it if necessary.

I think this kind of thing also happens on Club Penguin, I suppose all the moderators can do is freeze the account.
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now