Coping strategies for year seven

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

I'm so glad some one ele is feeling as disorganised as me.

I really feel I am reaching meltdown poin at the moment - making sure everyone is in the right clothes, has the right stuff gets to the right place and knows how they are getting home again and then we get into the whole afterschool activities thing (now much later due to such late finish at DS's school) - is really taking it's toll on me. Then there is the checking that homework has been done! The housework and ironing have gone to pot and,of course, I am inundated with work at the moment after having a very cushy quiet few months.

Not even my usual deep breath ... count to 10 ... and release method is working. Cannot do wine therapy....too much fetching and carrying dropping here there and everywhere going on. will need sick note soon!

roll on half term!
Milla

Post by Milla »

my parents were fairly upfront about it all (but they had me young, or what I call young, just 22 and 29) and sort of grew up with us - quite strict though. So knew that parenthood didn't just descend on you fully formed. It's still all confusing, partic when have to get involved with "the system" - forms, new schools etc. Know exactly what you mean about the Unis as have friends going through it, too, friends who but a minute ago, were fretting about 11+, as I was fretting about Reception and Y1! The panic seems to have prompted me to take to !!!! in a startling way.
Sorry for veering off topic slightly.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thanks - I'm feeling slightly less demoralised now. :D
zorro

Post by zorro »

DS has done his homework in his bedroom right from the start of Y7. We bought him a desk and comfy chair and he goes up to do his work after eating his evening meal and watching half an hour of TV.
He wouldn't be able to concentrate at the kitchen table as DD and DH are at home too. He has all his books etc on his desk and has organised them all very efficiently.
Having said that, I still get called upstairs to look at work, clarify points etc!! Mind you - I need the exercise. :roll:
Don't worry about being organised I found it took until the first half term to be on the ball with the right sports kit etc.
The worst thing in the first year is attending all the new social events and not knowing the protocol.It made us feel like new kids as well!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi. I'm sorry I'm too much of a luddite to work out how to post the link on here but there is a thread from this time last year in rehab called 'starting grammar school - stressful?' started by someone called hopeful Den. Have a look it should reassure and entertain you, we were all mad back then and now we are almost normal (except that DD2 is coming up!).
mad?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Glos_Mum wrote:Ah we are seemingly all trying to tread-water in this new world.

Trying to juggle single-parenting, full-time job, two schools, evening clubs, the new onslaught of homework along with all the normal wash/cook/clean routines..... Do you ever hope for an evening when you can just sit down with a cuppa :lol:
Erm no....glass of Pinot grigio ...maybe :wink:
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Very relevant thread - my DS has already crashed and burned :shock: . He woke up with a very sore throat (I now have one :roll: ) and this combined with exhaustion meant he stayed in bed for most of the day.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.