It shouldn't be this hard...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Even in the middle sets, where behaviour was better, there was rarely homework and Sat predictions were set at 5's despite the fact many of these children had already gained 5's the first time round. Only in the top set was it possible to achieve potential.
Surely a child that has gained a level 5 in primary should be in a top set anyway. I totally agree with you though, fm, that it is the middle ground children who often fail to achieve their full potential and those from disfunctional families.

As far as many of the extra opportunities are concerned these often come at a cost. A cost many families can't afford so it is a tricky one.

Re- sport then you a right, 2outof3, there is no excuse for inequality infact as most comprehensives are bigger they should have more talent to draw from and I know many that do have good sport facilities. What is happening in your area should be addressed.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Sorry, can't work out the quote thingy.

Tolstoy wrote:-
"Some children will never achieve high grades or numerous GCSE's but it does not mean they have not received a good education and one that is appropriate to them."

Here, here sez I!

DD1 is zooming along at Grammar but DD2 is at a local all girls secondary. She has dyslexia, dyspraxia and exophoria (poor vision) and we have been advised that even trying her ultimate hardest, that she will probably only scrape about 3 GCSEs.
The school will look like it has failed her, yet is doing its utmost to provide her with skills for her life in the real world.

A favourite quote of mine is by Henry Thoreau
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."

That's our girl, and we love her to bits.
zorro

Post by zorro »

That's a lovely quote - very applicable to my lovely daughter who has learning difficulties whereas her brother is in top sets at indie and flying along. We love her as she tries her best and despite her disability is the warmest, sweetest child imaginable. :)
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Zorro - I'm glad you like the quote. I found it on a postcard and think it's so apt for chldren like our lovely daughters. Long may they continue to bring joy to our hearts.

It is difficult having children at either end of the learning spectrum isn't it?
It would be handy to take a little of the ease-of-learning from one and pass it on to the other. If 'trying hard' was an Olympic event we'd both have Gold medallists!

Sometimes when I lose patience I remember the different beat of the drum , take a deep breath and give her a cuddle and some praise.

All the best to your daughter and her journey through life.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thank you so much. Yes, I sometimes wish I had 2 'average' children it seems unfair that one seems to have everything and one so little. But what DD lacks in academic skills, she more than makes up for with her lovely sunny nature ( most of the time! :lol: ) as I'm sure your lovely daughter does too.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Yes, here's to our "Sunnies" :lol: !!!

Ooo, look at the time, must go and get her from school!