11+, Christmas etc

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JuliaB

11+, Christmas etc

Post by JuliaB »

Is anyone finding this time of year a bit hard at the moment? My son passed Berks and failed Bucks (as well you know!) and despite all the celebrations I'm feeling completely shattered after the whole experience. I'm nowhere near ready for Christmas, I remember last year the whole stress of putting an appeal package together. I can't seem to get into the Christmas spirit at all this year either, and it just feels like a big chore. Another box to tick as it were. I think it is really awful that the appellants have to rush around at an already busy time consulting with teachers and experts and generally knocking themselves flat to meet the deadline. Some of the messages in the appeals section just sound so desperate - there are parents frantically waiting for appeal dates and it's all been delayed due to Christmas post. I remember those feelings and it's not a good memory. The whole system needs a complete re-think. We ALL need our Christmas break to spend time together, not using all that time worrying and fretting.

I really wish it could be done another way.

Just my 2pennorth!

JuliaB
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi Julia

I can emphathise with you as although last year my son passed I found the whole process completely draining. I was so engulfed it in it was all I could do to even start to think of Christmas. I haveto say that I had had a difficult summer because because of something that my mum was going through(and we coudln't tell the kids) and I think I so wanted him to pass not only for the obvious reasons but also just so our year would end on a high(it had been pretty awful). Needless to say when he did pass all I could do was cry. It was such a huge relief. And bless him he didnt have any idea what had been going on and he was so proud but you know humble too. I remember on the day he passed, him saying he wouldn't go into school shouting about it because of others that hadn't been so lucky.
I also felt my daughter had been sat in the background for most of the summer as all our concentration was on our son and my mum.

Anyway what I did decide was that we had to have a great Christmas as they deserved it. All worked out well just as it has for you. So buck up girl get yourself a cheesey xmas cd that you can play at home or in your car and enjoy this time. Remember this is a time of celebration your son has passed you were and still are absolutely overjoyed. If someone had asked you last year what you would want for Xmas you probably would of said for your son to pass his 11+ and he has.

Another tip is go and get your hair done I find it gives me a real lift.

I do feel for all those people having to wait on appeal dates etc but for those of you going through that process do try and put it aside so that you and your children can relax for a while and enjoy Xmas. Again remember they did thier best and they now deserve some fun time.

Melx

ps

sorry I do waffle sometimes
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Thanks Mel. You are right, it's just relief it's all over coupled with pre-Christmas exhaustion. I'll start on the mince pies, that usually works a treat! I can't believe 210 read the message and only you replied.... kindred spirits after all!!

JuliaB
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Now, now JuliaB, don't come over feeling all neglected!

I must have looked at the message at least 3 times, but I am so busy doing Christmas that I only have the time to reply to urgent posts! I'm sure the same goes for a lot of regulars right now.

I think it's called Catch 22? :lol: Happy Christmas to you and Mel.

Sally-Anne
HP

Post by HP »

Hi JuliaB

Must have written "Hi" about 3 times and been interupted and not got any further with my post :lol: Anyway, just wanted to say that it took me about 6 months to recover from my daughter's exam - we didn't know the result until 1st March so I felt completely in limbo :cry: .

You've another 2 weekends before christmas, plenty of time to get into the spirit, and can definately recommend getting hair done if you can fit it in 8)

And if you're too late to buy this year's "must have gift", just remember that you've already got it - its called an 11 + pass :P

Merry Christmas

HP

Post by Guest »

I.m in the Christmas Spirit, but unfortunately here in Barnet parents are trying to get their children to study for the second round of exams, even though we don't know if they will be called back.
kent mum

Post by kent mum »

Spare a thought for those of us who ahve yet to take the exam. My sons 11+ is Jan 6th, so not much of a break for us. I have already had one set to with him this morning as he informed me it was the 'Christmas Holidays' and point blank refused to do any work.

I was looking for some inspiration, to try and find a way to encourage him when all he wants to do is relax (me too come to think of it).
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Glad to hear I'm not alone - I was obviously on a real downer last week! Feeling much better, thanks for your support

Good luck those of you waiting for call backs and to even sit the tests - last year we nagged him like mad in the Christmas break to sit and do his practice. I think it is good for them to get some nagging - after all when they go to grammar school they will have to spend a lot of time studying (11+ isn't the end of the hard work remember!)

Thanks everyone, I'm off to put a sparkly top on and paint my nails...

Love

JuliaB

Post by Guest »

Hi Kent Mum, we're also in Kent and trying to combine the holiday with revision- what a nightmare :roll: . I've downloaded some of the 11+ CD's from the site to see if this will help my daughter feel inspired, but feel I may have to resort to bribary. What a cruel time to set the paper. I can't wait until it's over.