Year 7 science

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
katel

Post by katel »

I really think the teacher should be the first port of call. There is always the possibility that you ds has somehow misunderstood what he is supposed to be doing. If he hasn't, talking to the teacher will alert him to the fact that parents aren't completely happy without going over his head.

If there's no improvement, THEN go to the form tutor, then the Head.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I agree with Katel. On the odd occasion I feel obliged to raise an apparent problem with a teacher I always do so very carefully as there are always 2 sides to things.

A form tutor would, I expect, just pass the message on to the teacher concerned anyway. IF the subject teacher is unresponsive/unhelpful, then I would raise it with the Head of Year who should then speak to someone more senior in the science department.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Looking for help wrote:I would talk to the form tutor, explaining the trouble you are having with the science homework, aren't they supposed to be the first port of call with any problems? That way you are bringing it to the attention of the school without directly apporaaching the science teacher.
I agree. We were invited to email DS's form tutor with "little niggles" that come up. This is a more informal approach than a full on parent-teacher meeting or letter. Is this an option for you? At least it brings the problem to the school's attention without you appearing confrontational or them going on the defensive.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

The only way a form tutor will be able to take a concern forward will be to refer it to the relevant teacher to see what they have to say or take it to a more senior member of the department. Either way that looks like going behind someone's back. If I was a teacher I would prefer a parent to come direct to me with any issues rather than them go to someone else first. The first approach doesn't have to be confrontational or critical - a simple email asking for the teacher to ring to discuss problems x is having with homework would be fine.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

At both of the schools my children attend we have been advised in all cases to bring any concerns in the first instance to the form tutor. I would caution against approaching the science teacher first as it may cause years of problems if the teacher takes it the wrong way, which undoubtedly he/she will. I would merely say that your child is struggling with science homework, and you want to be able to help. This may end up with a meeting with the science teacher, or it might be that other parents have also complained and something is being done by the school to prevent the situation from continuing.

LFH
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now