Rugby shirt cleaning

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chardom

Rugby shirt cleaning

Post by chardom »

My DS has a white rugby shirt (well it was this morning!) and has come home after playing rugby today and it is now absolutely filthy! Does anyone have any tips for stain removal and generally keeping it looking white as I'm not sure my regular non-bio is up to the job!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Chardom - it's probably not cool to have a sparkling white rugby shirt. He's going to look more like a seasoned player if it looks a bit grubby!
Milla

Post by Milla »

yup, I'm with BM2. Plus it's easier for you!! Don't believe a word the ads tell you (I know, I used to work in advertising), it'll never be the same again. But nor will anyone else's!
zorro

Post by zorro »

What ? A WHITE rugby shirt?! Are they crazy?! :roll:
Try Vanish tablets -they might get the worst out.
MoneyPenny

Post by MoneyPenny »

Non Bio will not do the job. The grass and mud stains only come out with the enzymes in the Biological Powders. I would suggest doing all PE and Games kit in Bio powder and if you have sensitive skin and might react to the Bio powder formulation, do an extra short rinse after your wash is finished. The clothes will come out clean, not virgin white but close enough!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I've always found a bar of green household soap much more effective than any of the 'miracle' stain-removers. Works a treat on grass-stained cricket trousers anyway... Just wet the stain, rub the soap on and stick it in the washing machine.

But honestly, rugby players don't care what they look like - they're all barmy anyway, what with all that rolling about in mud and getting trampled on. Last season I watched a boy being tackled and his gum shield flew out into a muddy puddle. When he emerged from underneath a pile of bodies, he picked it out of the puddle, looked at it, stuck it back in his mouth and ran off. Honestly, rugby players aren't worried how white their shirt looks!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

With my OH's and DD's cricket stuff (full of mud and grass stains :shock: ) I give them a spray with Mr Muscle for *********, I find it works wonderfully, much better than these so called stain removers and then I wash normally in 40 degrees.
chardom

Post by chardom »

Thanks for your tips! We use non-bio as we all have eczema but will buy some biological + try the extra rinse. :) I suspect you may be right about the grubby shirt though, as when I went to pick him him up today after practise, he was rolling down a very muddy grassy slope in the rain to amuse himself till I arrived :roll: and told me to stop fussing when I wondered if this was a good idea :!:
The white rugby shirt was probably the genius idea of a man who has never had to wash one :wink:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Well, the England team wear white too- say no more! :roll:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My husband has sensitive skin and I use non bio , but also use an oxy-stain remover fro tough stains. I used to use napisan, but the seals of the washng machine didn;t like it! The own brand ones cope with my habit of dropping food on everything !

The comments about rubgy players are true though. The odd stain and rip adds character (to the shirt as well)