Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Should I worry???????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
missmem

Post by missmem »

I think it is inevitable that people will recognise a poster eventually 8) . I don't think this forum can be 100% anonymous. It is so specific in the regions and schools mentioned. :shock:
I will looking more closely at people when I am out and about, not to mention staring at the GS heads I meet. I already see many familiar faces when doing the rounds for school evenings!! 8)
[img]http://l-stat.livejournal.com/img/mood/charitycam/stars/nerdy.gif[/img]
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

....and then there are posters who have the same usernames on here as another poster on another thread. Are they the same person or have they nicked that persons username? :lol: One of my close friends has the same username as a poster on here so I thought "Whoopee" when she joined but soon realised it was not the same person! :(
missmem

Post by missmem »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:....and then there are posters who have the same usernames on here as another poster on another thread. Are they the same person or have they nicked that persons username? :lol: One of my close friends has the same username as a poster on here so I thought "Whoopee" when she joined but soon realised it was not the same person! :(
What posters on what thread? :shock: :shock: I don't think you can 'accuse' (can't find another word) someone of using another's name. You can't register anyway if a name has been taken already. :? :? :?
[img]http://l-stat.livejournal.com/img/mood/charitycam/stars/nerdy.gif[/img]
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I've wasn't accusing anyone, just finding it amusing that we all need to keep on our toes and not have a "deep and meaningful" with a complete stranger because you thought they were someone else! :lol:
solimum

Post by solimum »

and then there are posters who have the same usernames on here as another poster on another thread
Do you mean on another forum Tipsy? I do visit other forums but my username here is specific to elevenplusexams. I must confess to feeling wary about mentioning the site to friends as they would soon be able to identify me from some of my past posts, and might wonder why I spend so much time here (I wonder myself....!)
marigold

Post by marigold »

I think it is very interesting that we are prepared to pour out our hearts regarding our children's education to complete strangers ( or those we hope are complete strangers ) and perhaps take advice from people we don't know from Adam.
Thirty years ago our parents would presumably have been discussing theses things with close friends and their own parents rather than the whole country.

Apropos of being careful about revealing identities, I was chatting to a friend yesterday who told me she had heard another friend on a local radio phone- in disclosing in quite alarming detail, things that happen in the bedroom department. We can disguise ourselves with user names but a distinctive voice on the radio gives no such privacy!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think the primary topics we discuss on here as deemed as elitist, in a negative way, and you cannot discuss them with many or any friends and family. I actually have a friend and we only got close because she felt she could discuss schools and academia with me and I would listen. She makes me look horizontally laid-back! :shock: But she cannot openly express her worries, concerns and ideas in front of anyone else. Since the internet we are also aware of the choices that are available to us and we want to discuss them because choosing a different path to what we would have normally chosen is very much a step into the "unknown".

As for usernames, I wasn't being that serious! :P
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

" I would be MORTIFIED if someone identified me, it would be SO humiliating for anyone to know how much time I have poured away on here..."

Mad - I agree!

Suspect we give away too much information to really be totally unidentifiable.

But if someone picks up all the information I have left this means they too are pouring time away on here! So no guilt!
[/quote]
marigold

Post by marigold »

I so agree. Although a " Lurker " for the duration of exam time in our house I found it to be my closest friend. There was no one else going through what I was, or so I thought and thank you so much to all those who were brave enough not to be lurkers, for all the advice and light relief.

Just shows how much I love it that I am still an avid reader. My morning routine is not complete without a pot of coffee, a quick Sudoku, two ( and I am very strict with this ) games of Freecell and then a blissful trawl of the 11plus forum.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now