Swine Flu vaccination

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Herman might correct me here, but I think it’s because flu typically affects the respiratory tract and constricts the airways, making it harder to draw breath. Presumably this is an even more serious problem if you’re asthmatic?

For diabetics it’s more about the problems it causes in keeping blood sugar levels under control.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Rob, let's hope our precious DC's don't get it! :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes that's right.

The major complication for all flu (bar the 1918 but that was a different matter - the primary infection caused bleeding in the lungs etc ) is secondary chest infections ie bacterial infection setting in - tends to be more likely in anyone prone to chest infections - asthmatics - chronic lund disease - smokers etc etc.

The primary influenza infections also causes some tightening of the chest - pesky cough, having said that it doesn't seem to be as bad as usual flu.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8324070.stm
US declares swine flu 'emergency'
Don't panic it's more of a release funding emergency.

Useful diagrams at the foot of the page explaining why swine flu may be a major issue and vaccination might be a good idea.

Me? I have been offered and ignored the seasonal flu jab for many years, this year I may go for the swine flu jab.

If we all wait to see what happens and then rush for the jab if things turn bad, it might be to late.

steve
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Had to collect my 6 yr old from school yesterday - fever and headache. Was informed that there was currently 10 students off with same symptoms from his class over the few days previous. Today, hacking cough, high fever and just generally not well - sleeping lots. Thinking it may be swine flu - and whether to go route of tamiflu or not. Won't make for a funfilled half term break for him being housebound.....but unsure of giving Tamiflu to a young child too. Will have to phone nhs direct :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep USA need to do this to sort the funding - easier here as tamiflu, primary and secondary care all free at point of delivery...

dare I say it? quiet on the tamiflu front this weekend. ..
ermintrude

Post by ermintrude »

I had my swine flu jab yesterday (front line staff) :shock: and can report that I am fine other than a bit of a sore arm (randomized controlled trial of one - it must be safe :wink: )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ah ermintrude - the wonderful RCT with one person and one arm (ooops sorry about the pun).

Glad to hear it went well - no doubt practice nurse will be pursuing me with loaded syringe next week...
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

My DS2 has just had something that could have been swine flu. We looked up a list of symptoms and he had all of them. But it was fairly short lived; he was only at the rather poorly stage for 3 days, so I'm not sure. Anyway, he's on the mend now, which is the main thing, and if it was swine flu it's over and done with!

The most alarming part was the complete disappearance of his appetite, a previously unimaginable event!
um

Post by um »

its interesting reading the discussion as we're all recovering from what was certainly swine flu.
i have 5 kids, littlest 3 months is feeding hence i am 1 handed, no caps. if i was using a bottle i would be no handed which is i suppose an advantage of nursing!
mid september we got a bone wracking virus and cough that i thought must be swine flu but i did wonder why we didnt get the high temperature that is its signature,
1 week later, terrible vomiting and diarrhoea,
1 week after recovering - swine flu. probably caught courtesy of the bv exam in birmingham.
we're all still washed out - daughter still in bed today... but i hope the worst is over. i m asthmatic but again just had to take plenty inhaler when needed and keep the humidifier on full. the humidifier was also vital for baby's breathing as he is still small and his chest was heavy with mucus.

but do i wish we'd had the vaccine? sorry but no way.

this vaccine has not been rigorously tested. it is being promoted by heavy business interests for whom profit means more than our welfare. in the 1970s a similar flu vaccine in the usa caused 25 deaths and far more injured with brain disease. flu vaccines in general are shown to have a negative effect on the memory due to the heavy metals they contain. and simply from my own experience, the years i had flu vaccines were always the years i ended up in hospital. i seriously belive they made me weaker.
while i do not doubt that for some, flu is fatal - even the non swine variety - and some people would be better off with the vaccine - for generally healthy people i think it is not necessary, and the risks are not actually worth it. you should be back on your feet within a week, and you've boosted your immune resonse naturally by allowing it to fight the invader itself.

if you have a big family like me, its entrance into the home is probably inevitable this winter. i would only humbly advise the following - esp. for kids:

chicken soup - add plenty freshly ground pepper, cinammon, green and black cardomons, cloves and thyme.
a warm humidifier in the room.
eucalyptus, tea tree and lavendar essential oils in a burner.
roman chamomile oil for asthmatics
manuka or organic oregano honey drinks

best of luck, i hope my eldest can now recover his stength before the main birmingham exam though!