Punishment for Parents Lying to Get a Place

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Very interesting discussion going on here, and I regret to say, I do not think there is a solution to the problem in this country for the very reason that the whole subject of education has been endlessly politicised by all the political parties and it has long since been a locus of class warfare.

Conservative policy no longer supports the Grammar School ethos. What support it gives is rather like that for values about Family and Parenting: mealy mouthed. I think GSs are doomed to wither away.

It is a fallacy to pretend that there is any longer consensus about what should be taught, how it should be taught, or indeed how, or if it should be examined. There is no longer even an accepted view on which exams to take. Our Universities are slipping way down the scale of excellence and their economic viability is being predicated ever more on Foreign students' (much) higher tuition fees.

My personal view is that so long as the state is allowed to treat education as though IT is its natural, rightful hegemony; then nothing will improve. Have we not yet learned that Government does nothing well, least of all education?
zee

Post by zee »

Sassie'sDad wrote:I think GSs are doomed to wither away.
I take your point about none of the political parties supporting GS, but they're not withering away. There may not be any new GS, but the number of places has increased slightly in recent years.
arealfarmer

Post by arealfarmer »

This article from the Telegraph exactly mirrors my thoughts on so-called cheats .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/64 ... s-all.html

Ed Balls's insane education policies make school gate cheats of us all
The lack of decent schools has driven parents to desperate lengths.

By Judith Woods
Published: 7:10PM GMT 03 Nov 2009

You must not copy whole articles of copyright work, you may quote pieces. Moderator
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Middle-class families are accused of theft, because they are taking up places at good schools. How dare we! Anyone would think we paid taxes specifically to fund state education and had as much right to school places for our children as anyone else. Hang on a minute, we do – so how, exactly, can it be theft?

This was an excellent article. Society really needs to stop parent bashing and we as parents need to stop bashing each other.
Milla

Post by Milla »

that was brilliant. Thanks for posting it, Farmie.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

Think, though, you need to just post the link, as you are breaching copyright.
:D
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyr ... 9_fair_use

1. What does fair use allow?
Under fair use rules, it may be possible to use quotations or excerpts, where the work has been made available to the public, (i.e. published). Provided that:
• The use is deemed acceptable under the terms of fair dealing.
• That the quoted material is justified, and no more than is necessary is included.
• That the source of the quoted material is mentioned, along with the name of the author.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Steve,

I think you may have copied a bit too much of the ‘Fair Use’ rules…

:lol:
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

That the source of the quoted material is mentioned, along with the name of the author.
Yes. :roll: And I broke the above rule as well. :x

steve
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yes, very disappointed in you. :shock:

You clearly should have rung the copyright service up and asked them for the name of the person responsible for drafting the fair use rules so you could credit him or her correctly. :lol:

OK, sorry everyone, frivolous interlude over…