Laptops

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Post by doodles »

Recently got an Acer from Tesco (there I've put it in full!) and it has been excellent. High spec for good price.
youngest

Post by youngest »

OT
I tried to resist the bad joke.

It's not the * key at risk on my laptop it's the ( key

Pauses for effect

Why is 6 afraid of 7?

Dramatic pause

Because 789!

Sorry! I'll take myself to my room! Or maybe back to Rehab! Night.
youngest

Post by youngest »

On thread

We tend to look round for the good deals on software included but it's worth seeing if DC's school is included in the microsoft ultimate deals that reduce the software price significantly to the shop/online or other prices.

We've had Dell, HP, Philips and Acer laptops. We're all on Dell at the moment.

Mine from Currys, DH's from work and DD (Pink) direct from Dell.

Only comment from DD - my computer is sooooo slow (running facebook, msn, email and a word or powerpoint document...oh and probably updating the phone or ipod at the same time)

Forgot the EeePC - too slow for all but internet browsing in free wifi areas where it's small size allows you to dare to take it out without thinking of the risk of someone snatching it (and your cheesburger) and legging it to their getaway vehicle!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If you're intending it for games you need to make sure that the graphics are up to the demands of whatever type of game you have in mind; the popular lower end laptops are inadequate for "serious" games. This link describes roughly what sort of demands you can expect a range of graphics cards to cope with:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison ... 130.0.html

While this one gives a vast (but not comprehensive...!) list of cards so when you're contemplating a particular laptop you can get some idea how it's graphics abilities compare to the above:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Gra ... 844.0.html

I'm currently using an Acer, the screen is a treat to look at but I'm not sure about the shape - bit letterboxy for my old 4:3 brain to handle!

Mike
KB

Post by KB »

If you decide on Dell have a look on their internet site - we got several of ours from their 'outlet' (mostly end of ranges or 'made to order' that were not then sold) which offered good discounts once you were clear on the spec. you required.

Similarly, PC World sometimes has good discounts on one or two that they are trying to shift - and often 'specials' if you buy extra software/peripherals at the same time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now