Locked topics

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
magwich2

Locked topics

Post by magwich2 »

Just a thought after reading several interesting debates which all fell foul of the moderators for becoming a little too acrimonious, perhaps we could have a section called something like "Anything (legal) Goes". If people visited this section or posted on it they would at least be aware that the debate was likely to be fairly to the point and those of a nervous disposition could avoid it entirely.
What does anyone else think?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A little corner of the Forum where people can go to trash each other's beliefs and attitudes? Be as rude as they want to each other, without moderation, no limits as long as it is legal? Sounds lovely!

This is an eleven plus forum, first and foremost, not a place to air prejudices, hatred, aggression or unpleasantness. There are plenty of other places that people can do that on the internet if they are that way inclined. Why do it on an education forum?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

That is not what I meant at all - it just seemed a good idea to have an area where people felt free to express their beliefs without having to worry all the time that someone would be offended by some imagined slight.
It was only a suggestion.....
mad?

Post by mad? »

Have to say I'm with Sally Anne on this. There are penty of fora where people can 'mouth off' and forcefully express their views. For me the attraction of this one is that it largely stays civil and on topic (ish) and that usually I don't feel assaulted...
mad?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I love some of the debates on here, it is really good to hear all the opposing points of view. However a couple of times I have been quite shocked at what has been said, and can see why a topic is locked. Healthy debate is fine, but when it degenerates the way a few topics have recently, then that is not good at all. How can we expect our children to grow up into sensible adults if we cannot be civil to one another?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Looking for help wrote:I love some of the debates on here, it is really good to hear all the opposing points of view. However a couple of times I have been quite shocked at what has been said, and can see why a topic is locked. Healthy debate is fine, but when it degenerates the way a few topics have recently, then that is not good at all. How can we expect our children to grow up into sensible adults if we cannot be civil to one another?
I agree LFH.
I also have a sneaking suspicion that people would be much more civil to someone else's face. It's the anonymity of both the poster and the recipients which make it feel so easy to rant and vent and tap a few expletives onto the keyboard.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Those who would enjoy a religious rant or two might like to visit the Ship of Fools website, where the forum includes a section called "****" for those who want vigorous debate, as well as other more supportive forums. Also some good examples of Christians not taking themselves too seriously....
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I don't think an "Anything Goes" section is a good idea, because it will detract from the friendly atmosphere around here! But I was disappointed that the debate about religious activity in schools was stopped. I thought it was relevant to this site and there were some very interesting points being made in a calm and sensible manner on both sides. Although I hold a similar opinion to serialtester, I agree that his/her post went too far in ridiculing beliefs which mean so much to many people. The trouble is, it only takes one person to go over the top and the thread gets locked. I have seen some mods censoring out offending comments while allowing the thread to stand. Perhaps this could have been the initial approach on this occasion? In defence of serialtester, I think the comments were being made in the context of us atheists just recently starting to get a bit more confident and forceful about our philosophy as an enlightened and positive approach to life and morality, after so many years of keeping a low profile so as not to offend. But I agree it is not helpful to resort to ridicule, and in fact arguing about the "trueness" of religion here is also pretty pointless, but I would like to see a debate about whether or not it is appropriate to include religious worship in the school day.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I am always in favour of heated arguments and some times I do get myself involved in those, but I would be very dissapointed if such a thread was developed. I always depend on the moderators to stop a discussion if respodents (including myself :oops: ) start to get out of hand. If you later come back to the locked threads (after things have cooled down) and re-read them you will find that in 90% of the cases they have been right. As for the other 10% of the cases... well we can agree to disagree, can't we? :wink:
sj355
WP

Post by WP »

Bad Dad wrote:The trouble is, it only takes one person to go over the top and the thread gets locked. I have seen some mods censoring out offending comments while allowing the thread to stand. Perhaps this could have been the initial approach on this occasion?
Yes, that approach can work, but it has to be done quickly, before others get upset and respond. These things can escalate very quickly, and sometimes there aren't any of us monitoring a particular section, as was the case here. Sally-Anne was the first on the scene, but it was already too tangled to delete, and it then it got much worse.