Pocket Money and Bed Time for a Y7

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Post by zorro »

Ed's mum,
It keeps happening when I type in the number eight ! Mind you he is 8)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Zorro,
if my child was at an indep school and on the kind of schedule that your son and Ed is, they would have a different and later bedtime.
On the other hand I suppose your son get longer holidays to catch up on rest.I also think children differ in the sleep they need and as I said I turn a blind eye to late reading with my eldest but I am intolerant about her packing her bag/ pottering about late at night.But that's just because my then I am a tired, grumpy mum :evil: .You are probably much sweeter natured. :D

Just have to try the number eight now.... 8 worked for me.Obviously not cool enough :cry:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

8 followed by a ) !! No gaps!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Sweet natured- moi? :lol: I can nag for England!!
Regarding pocket money - DS gets £2 a day for snacks/drinks at school but not pocket money. We fund the occasional cinema trips( and the barmitzvah expeditions!!! :evil: ).
He has saved up nearly £200 from last birthday (Feb this year) I wish I could hang on to cash so long! :oops: and is putting half of that towards school ski trip in April ( :shock: £1000).
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

DS in Y7 gets £2 pocket money per week plus bonuses for good school reports and merit certificates achieved.

Bed times - weekends and holidays its 10pm and during the week 9-930pm depending on hobbies. He does not get up til 7am though.

DD who is in y5 gets £1.50 per week, goes to bed at 8pm as when she has to get up at 730am, she tends to find it hard to wake up!

They are expected to tidy their rooms every week and help with clearing dining table.

No TV in bedrooms here too.
Red

Post by Red »

Many thanks for all your replies.

Given the amount of moaning in the morning, I think I'll stick with the 9pm bedtime till Y8.

It looks like I am a little Scrooge-like wrt Pocket Money. :lol: I'm too chaotic myself to impose regular chores, but weekly room cleaning and downstairs vacuuming sounds feasible in return for a pay rise.

The ridiculous thing is that she never actually spends her pocket money -- unlike DS (Y4) who's always "pre-spent" his 3 or 4 weeks in advance. I'm sure the issue has arisen because of playground chatter so I don't feel I can just cave in to reflected peer pressure. Relating a rise to the "increased responsibility" of chores, I can justify... I think...

Anyway, thanks again all

Red
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

DCs don't get pocket money, so far we haven't found any chore that we can't do quicker,cheaper and without breaking things! Grandparents tend to give £20-30 when we see them which is every 6-8 weeks, so there's probably no need.
DD is year 3 so bed is 19:30 and reading until 20:00 except when doing Beaver scouts or karate and DS(year 6) is supposed to be in bed by 20:00 and reading until half past although this is usually stretched a bit on Cubs night.
Friday/Saturday is usually later to bed although they often go to bed at eight and watch a DVD.
Holidays are not much different from weekends with the latest they usually go to bed being 21:00 but very occasionally they may go an hour later.
Oh yes,DS is always up by 06:30 if not earlier like his mum but DD takes after me and usually has to be woken at 07:00!
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

MasterChief wrote: Grandparents tend to give £20-30 when we see them which is every 6-8 weeks,
Wow that's good.Don't need some more grandchildren do they. :lol:
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
MasterChief wrote: Grandparents tend to give £20-30 when we see them which is every 6-8 weeks,
Wow that's good.Don't need some more grandchildren do they. :lol:
Well I'm I've suggested it,but my wife's not so keen! Oh, sorry...see what you mean...no,no I think 2 will do them! :D
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I don't think I would want to let my two older daughters see this thread.It seems I am the meanest when it comes to chores :oops:

In my defence I do work a lot of hours including evenings and it is a real help to me.If I am less stressed, then I can cope with all the other things life/work/ kids throw at me.

I also hope it will make them more independent adults. Still feel a bit bad though as no one else seems to get their kids to do anything else but keep their room tidy...... :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now