Rugby - the cons please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

placing your cheek against opponants bottom
Now that's a whole other worry I wasn't expecting! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, thank you so much. I thought that because you loved the sport you may have rose-tinted specs so I make a humble apology. You have been very helpful and balanced unlike TWEEDLE DEE and TWEEDLE DUM who nearly tipped me over the edge! :roll:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Tipsy, DS 1 being playing rugby since age 5 - tag. Now 11 and playing contact tighthead prop for club A team. He's very good and I am neurotic. He has to wear a gum guard and I have been known to dance onto the pitch if he goes on without his scrum helmet. He knows my rule "no helmet no play"!!! One serious injury of a broken arm but there again his best friend fell over his own feet and did the same thing!!!!

The coaches are very careful at this age and he will be taught well.

Go and watch and be proud, it's a great game for boys and all the clubs we have visited - and believe me I have stood in a huge number of muddy fields in the south of england - look after the boys very well and have a real community feel. DH and I very much of the opinion we would rather he was part of the rugby club and having his first pints were there is somebody to look out for him than on a street corner somewhere.

Enjoy his success and he will be fine - you may need to go and watch a few times to convince yourself, but it is a great game.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Oh dear - when I started typing my first response I was going to be the first to reply but now I'm on page 2 after DD came in and distracted me!

Forgot to mention any plus points for rugby:

- Huge increase in fitness and stamina along with the rewards that working so hard can bring in terms of esteem, confidence etc

- Being part of a team who will live and die for each other out there on the field. Learning to trust & rely on team mates to protect you when you put your body on the line for them.

- Learning that rugby is a game where 14 men bust a gut so that the 15th man can make the difference. Team ethos, working together, realising that you can't always achieve everything by yourself.

- Discipline and control of aggression on the field can produce boys / men of amazing character off the field too.

- Respect for others and ability to face defeat with your head up and with a determination to work harder next time

- Rugby also teaches the ultimate comptitiveness and aggression on the field but is the only contact sport where opposing players hug each other and share drinks / stories in the bar afterwards.

- Rugby is also the only contact sport where spectators are allowed to drink alcohol as the atmosphere is very friendly & family orientated.

OK well, Tipsy did warn everyone that I would of course be completely biased!! LOL
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Doodles, thank you, the comment about the community spirit and the pub has really made me sit back. I am now signing "the weed" up as well! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Freya, good to meet you can't agree more.

I adore rugby and am so proud that my sons do too but not sure every other mum agrees with me! Not many people can cope with idea that DH and I seem to spend most sundays in different muddy fields in south east each with a son rolling around in the mud having the time of their life!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks to Freya, doodles and andyb for helping me recover from the earlier onslaught! I love watching Rugby but not sure I can watch DS. Ironically it's the type of game I'd love to play but we always worry about our kids!
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hey Doodles, another Scrummy Mummy!!!!!

Great to meet you too and very happy to see onther rugby nut here!

I'll see your 'south of england muddy field' and raise you horizontal hail in the Welsh mountains! LOL :lol: :lol:

I'm sure some people also think I'm complete bonkers but I don't care so there!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I was really glad when I found out DS's school played football instead of rugby during the Christmas term - then I found out that in the Lent term they play - HOCKEY ! :shock:
Visions of DS being whacked across the head by stick or fast moving ball sprang to mind! He had never played before and ended up in the A team - thay are already training for the forthcoming term :shock:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Freya wrote:Oh dear - when I started typing my first response I was going to be the first to reply but now I'm on page 2 after DD came in and distracted me!

Forgot to mention any plus points for rugby:

- Huge increase in fitness and stamina along with the rewards that working so hard can bring in terms of esteem, confidence etc

- Being part of a team who will live and die for each other out there on the field. Learning to trust & rely on team mates to protect you when you put your body on the line for them.

- Learning that rugby is a game where 14 men bust a gut so that the 15th man can make the difference. Team ethos, working together, realising that you can't always achieve everything by yourself.

- Discipline and control of aggression on the field can produce boys / men of amazing character off the field too.

- Respect for others and ability to face defeat with your head up and with a determination to work harder next time

- Rugby also teaches the ultimate comptitiveness and aggression on the field but is the only contact sport where opposing players hug each other and share drinks / stories in the bar afterwards.

- Rugby is also the only contact sport where spectators are allowed to drink alcohol as the atmosphere is very friendly & family orientated.

OK well, Tipsy did warn everyone that I would of course be completely biased!! LOL

Thanks Freya

That really does sum up Rugby for my DS

Tipsy - didn't want you to be put off, but I have my heart in my mouth when I see DS playing rugby - that is how I feel (and I come from a family line of international rugby players (Welsh Freya!) so you would think it would be in my blood to be able to stomach watching a match.....but no) :(

Tweedle Dee
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

OFF TOPIC (Kinda...)

For Ed:
Advent term - Rugby.
Lent term - Hockey.
Trinity term - Cricket.

I'll breathe a sigh of relief during the final term!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now