Swine Flu vaccination

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watfordmum66

Swine Flu vaccination

Post by watfordmum66 »

A query has anyone had this ?

I am being strongly advised to have this as a front line worker . Just wondered what others would do as can not decide. change my mind fequently :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I can't decide either - and the more David salisbury gets bossy about it the less sure I am!

Professor David Salisbury, the Department of Health's director of immunisation, told Healthcare Republic that front line health workers had a duty to get immunised.

"They have a duty to their patients not to infect their patients and they have a duty to their families," he said.

"I think you solve those responsibilities by being vaccinated."
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

yep that is part of my problem feeling lots of pressure and have to decide by Monday a/m.
youngest

Post by youngest »

DS had a "flu like illness" last week which he seemed to keep to himself. (Lovely anti viral tissues and wonderful alcohol hand gel)
There were 11 off in his group of 27.

He was moderately poorly and I remembered how bad flu makes you feel.

So I ticked the boxes at work for both the seasonal and swine flu vaccinations!

Could still change my mind, there was a condescending woman on the radio this morning, telling me (health workers) that we know that the flu vaccination is perfectly safe........errr....no it isn't perfectly safe, there are side effects with any vaccination!! Feels rebellion rising.

They need to be careful with "official" advice. The "front line workers" do know their stuff about these things.

Rant over, at the moment I'm still planning to have the vaccination.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

In our neck of the woods in Bucks, Swine Flu seems to have been overtaken by the usual "start of the school year" infections, mainly tummy bugs at present.

Herman (and others on this thread) will undoubtedly be far more au fait with the statistics, but there doesn't seem to have been the pandemonium here that might have been expected?

I tend to think that most front-line workers, like you Herman, would have picked it up by now anyway? All those lovely sick patients coughing directly at you?

David Salisbury reminds me of my old Headmistress ... "Girls, it is your duty to ... blah, blah, blah ..." (Don't remember the rest of it!)

S-A
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes deffo feel as though Headmistress is lecturing me ........

There are lots of virals around but then there always are at this time of year. Last december was awful (I often work on out of hours services) - we were inundated and lots of staff ill (2 I know of flaking out on xmas day) , it wasn't flu but still quite nasty- having said that lots of us didn't get it despite being coughed and sneezed over.

This year I've seen quite a lot who really might have flu - and the staff are OK so far (probably our advanced ages). There are also many who think they have flu and get tamiflu off the phone line. I don't think many of these have flu and the random sampling of them after thay have been prescribed tamiflu over the phone etc shows that less than 10% actually have got it.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hermanmunster wrote:This year I've seen quite a lot who really might have flu - and the staff are OK so far (probably our advanced ages).
I do think there is something in that Herman - I haven't come across a local case over the age of 45-ish so far?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed - most of the genuine cases are younger... we more "mature" staff are quietly chuckling at the thought that we will be running the NHS again!!!
They have been chasing retired docs for some time to come back to work in the event of a pandemic :wink:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yep snowdrops - the general seasonal flu used to be h1n1 until the flu pandemic of 1957/8 took hold and overtook as the seasonal flu. Interestingly the same thing happened in 1918 when those who had had flu during the 1889 pandemic - had significant immunity to Spanish Flu
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Very strange - my post seems to have disappeared, yet Herman has answered it.

You can tell it's nearly Halloween, all these ghostly goings on!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now