Has anyone experience of school exchange trips?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tense

Post by tense »

Oh Magwich! :shock: :shock: Clearly I should be worrying much more about when the exchange student is out the house not in it!

My DD is really keen, & I do feel bad, as she didn't go on the French exchange as she wanted to go to Spain (had told her she could go on one when it seemed a long way off.... :oops: ). But she does accept that with minimal Spanish (has only just started this year), it might be better to put it off. If you want to buy a brown & white hamster, she's your girl, but she doesn't know anything I'd class as useful - like where's the loo / I'm sick / lost etc!

I know I'm only putting off the agony but it really worked for some of you - thanks overpeck & solimum (& at least she's not a twin Milla :lol: )
sterling

Post by sterling »

Tense - please remember that Magwich2 has a different level of tolerance to most of us on the forum. She's happy, for example, to let her DDs stay away from school if they don't feel like doing music or PSHE, for example (you can read this elsewhere on the forum).

Afraid I don't have any experience of exchange students, but I can understand your concerns about extra people in the house.

Just off to prepare get pizzas for another sleepover....
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

There's nothing better than being immersed in another language. It's also fantastic to experience another culture.

Maybe Magwich's daughter had a bad experience. It needn't be like this. It's not possible to generalise after one person's account.

I say go for it!
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

Well our experience of an exchange trip was great.
My son when in year 11 had the oppertunity to go to South Africa for just over £500!
He had a wonderful time it was very well organised,a chance in a lifetime!
The return visit was just as great,we went to Thorpe park/Greenwich etc so did fairly non cultural things as these were done during the week with the rest of her school.I even hosted the huge going home party in my back garden!
My son keeps in contact with the girl and has even met her again on a recent trip to S.Africa!

BUT I also host french/german students,they can be a nightmare and they can also be a pleasure!Some girls last year age 16 had arranged to stay with the rest of their party at a hostel overnight in London before they even got to the UK. You can imagine my reaction to that,I phoned the party leader and also thier parents back home,permission was granted.They survived but I wasnt happy about it,no way would my daughter be allowed to do this in a strange country! I also made sure they kept in contact with me by mobile phone.
So in all I guess it can be great if you get good students and generally I would say they are.
Also means I have to cook proper dinners everynight! :wink:
jeanb

Post by jeanb »

Ps Younger siblings are great at breaking the ice,(they annoy them but in a nice way)and pets too.
If you do host someone try to keep them from brooding in their room and make sure they are treated as part of the family doing what everyone else is doing!
Ps again,boys are easier but they eat more!Oh and they dont wash as much as girls.(In my experience)!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Sterling - have sent you a PM.
BTW I thought we were supposed to be nice to each other nowadays?!
KB

Post by KB »

Experience suggests that student needs to be fairly confident with the language before they go to make full use of the opportunity.
On some trips they spend alot of time in group with the other English students so not great encouragement to speak the language.
Those for whom it is roaring success seem to be in the minority.

Picking up on the CRB issue raised earlier - interesting point that schools want parents to be CRB checked before they volunteer in the clasroom but cant believe everyone who is in the house is going to be CRB checked & surely the child is in a much more vulnerable poition?
solimum

Post by solimum »

I had heard that the threat of everyone in a house needing to be CRB checked was leading to some schools cancelling their exchanges altogether, which would be a real shame...
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
andyb

Post by andyb »

Loopyloulou wrote:Other people's children can be awful at the best of times, even worse if they are foreign. I'd want to be sure they'd been CRB checked before setting foot across my threshold!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: