Are our children too young to make career choices

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

My 6yr old ds when asked by santa last year what he wanted to be when he got bigger replied 'a teenager' now he's settled for just being 'older' at least he will achieve his goals :lol:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I wanted to be Shirley Temple when I grew up. Wrong on so many levels...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mystery wrote:Sounds like all your children are more sensible than mine. When asked at age 3 what she wanted to do when she was grown up, my DD said "drink wine".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

ol. A sensible child!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

My DD at the age of 7 said she wanted to be Prime Minister of the country ... roll on three years ... now decided it would be "way too embarrasing" if no-one voted for you so "has got to rethink her plans!" :roll:
Heartmum x x x
mystery

Post by mystery »

When she is older, she may find there are some (unsavoury) ways around the no votes problem
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

DD nearly 10 wants to be a singer, I have told her it can be a little hard to be one , then she will become a dancer....again told her it will be a bit hard then maybe just a maybe she may become a hairdresser. I have said its better to own your though :oops:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I love the thought of drinkking wine!!!

Problem for teenagers is how they really have any clue at all what the job is like! Work experience tends to only show the interesting bits and anything tends to be exciting at 15/16.... None of it can prepare kids for whatit is really like to do the job for years.
Best prep I think is to have one or two parents moaning and groaning thoroughly for several years about their work (and looking cross eyed after night shifts) and then the DC STILL decides they want to do the same job!!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

DS2 (11) wants to be a king, an inventor or an exo-biologist (do these exist? what are they?)
DS1 (13) wants to be an actor. I've told him being Will Smith or being Johnny Depp is already taken. I've told him to work out his map for getting there, what he's going to do, the steps to take. He eye-rolled angrily and said, "I knew you didn't believe in me!!!"
My turn to eye roll :roll: :roll:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
zee

Post by zee »

hermanmunster wrote:Work experience tends to only show the interesting bits
You must know people who were very skilled or lucky at getting placements. Of those I know, the main problem with work experience was that so much of it was boring because even if it was a field they were vaguely interested in, there was so little they were actually able to do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now