A cooking challenge

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi

Have you looked at Slow cookers? can do low fat meals, plenty of veg and cheap to use. ??
I think I have one but have never used it :oops: Maybe time to dust it off.
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.Happy to hear any more :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi Cm,

I'm on a New Year kick too! I'll be going to the gym after the school run each day. Upping the home-made soups and tons of fruit. Chocolate is history - I'll only miss it for the first couple of weeks. Did this last year and lost a stone and a half with no great hardship. I'd worry more about carbs than fat. If you can hack it, the Atkins diet really does work. I'm not a huge protein fan so it's not for me but I know people who have been transformed by it.

Good luck!
SSM

Post by SSM »

Home made vegetable soup. Low in fat, very versatile (as you can throw in what ever vegetables you have lying around), cheap and easy.

I tend to use home made chicken or turkey stock, as I normally have it in the freezer, but you can easily use stock cubes.

I tend to saute my veg in a little olive oil and then pour in the stock. Once it's cooked, you can blend it so that it thickens.

I tend to use onion, leek, celery, carrot and then anything that's lying around in my fridge drawer, like red or yellow peppers, cabbage, suede, turnip, parsnips, a bit of cauliflower, peas.

Also, like some one else has said above, put lots of veg in things like spag bol and shepherds pie. I tend to use minimum meat and then throw in lots of carrots, peas, chopped brocolli, suede.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks for that First timer and SSM :D I can't afford a gym , money or time but I am aiming to walk more.
I have always wondered if the Atkins diet is a bit high cholesterol for me.I had my thyroid removed a few years ago and have been told this predisposes me to high cholesterol.I do like my protein but have always worried about the cholesterol side of things.?????? Maybe not?
Thank you for the simple guide to making soup.I really am a total beginner and thought it grew in cans :lol:
Thanks both of you :D
doodles

Post by doodles »

We call it bottom of the fridge soup and it's delicious and even the kids love it. Dash of cayenne pepper always helps too!
moved

Post by moved »

One that worked for me was to substitute the words cream and choco for fat. Fatlate and Icedfat sound far less appealing, double fat on your fruit salad, etc. I come from a family of larger people and have spent my life eating little to avoid becoming similar. Good luck.
A glass of white wine requires ten minutes of walking up stairs to burn it off! (Great way to encourage exercise.)
rachag

Post by rachag »

I did a well known alliterative slimming programme 3 yrs ago based on points. After a while, it all seemed to be summed up by halve your main dish - meat, meat and sauce, cottage pie, chilli etc - and at least double your veg. Also used butternut squash instead of potatoes - more fibre, moister so don't need butter etc to mash. This was all feasible while still eating same meals as family so not too onerous.
Good luck!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote:A glass of white wine requires ten minutes of walking up stairs to burn it off! (Great way to encourage exercise.)
hmmmmm what about if I walk upstairs for 10 mins whilst drinking wine.Does that cancel out the calories :D

Seriously thanks all of you.Lots to think about.Not looking forward to it :cry:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think the answer is to leave the glass of wine at the top of the stairs so you have to dash up every time you want a quick swig. As long as you don't overdo it so running up and down stairs in wobbly condition...

Mike
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

mike1880 wrote:I think the answer is to leave the glass of wine at the top of the stairs so you have to dash up every time you want a quick swig.
Mike
I like the way you think... :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now