A cooking challenge

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chelmsford mum

A cooking challenge

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi - nearly Happy New Year :D

As I am sadly approaching a round number birthday :cry: and its new year, I want to make a serious attempt at weight loss. :cry: I am serious about this, because due to other underlying health conditions approaching 40 puts me at higher risk for many horrible things and I want to be here for as long as poss :shock: I have a lot of weight to lose.
Soooooooo and here comes the help bit. I am no kind of cook what so ever and work long hours in term time.I need easy , low fat recipes if anyone has them. We are also on a very limited budget and there is 5 to feed.I have looked at recipe books and they are full of duck, goats cheese,yams blah blah.I need everyday cheap, low fat meals.
Sadly too no one but me eats fish and I don't want to cook separately for me as I simply don't have the time.
Perhaps this is too much of a challenge...cheap, easy and healthy?

Would be grateful for any family favourites that you have.
Many thanks.Enjoy the celebrations tonight :D
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Chelmsford Mum,

I was in exactly the same situation as you a few years ago-and having already had the big C didn't want to have a repeat performance!
My hubby is a skinny thing and loves his food,and DS is the same-so i found that the best way was to cook meals that could be done in bulk for the freezer,normal every day things like chilli,cottage pie,roasts etc but do the in a LOW FAT way.I can honestly say that they never commented and didn't tell the difference.
There are loads of cook books for these type of meals-I will try and find some examples for you.It is a case of getting things like low fat cooking spray and substituting for all fat,using lots of herbs for taste and smaller portions for you!
My spray roast potatoes were a favourite-with rosemary and garlic.Also do oven chips with the spray too.Mash potatoes with a little milk and lots of black pepper-when you get the hang of it it does become second nature.I still do all these things now even though not on an official diet!!!

Hope some of this helps-its so hard to lose weight and keep it off and I admire your resolution!
Good luck!
GM
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

These have a few useful recipes, most of them seem to work OK, there are a few other books in the range as well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weightwatchers- ... 165&sr=8-5

Mike
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks to both of you.I am just off to town so will look for the book.

Thanks for your cautionary tale Gloucestermum - glad you are fit and healthy now. :D
I really want to do this so if anyone else has any recipes they know work would be very grateful.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Chelmsford Mum - glad to hear from you. Perhaps all of us that want/need to lose weight (for whatever reason) can encourage and support each other. Meetings are expensive and I find them intimidating - perhaps a "virtual" weight loss group (anonimity preserved!) is the way forward. I am with you all the way. Good luck.

Dry roast spuds are fab - par boil potatoes, place on pre-heated baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and roast in a very hot oven. They are delicious and not a drop of fat.

Use a very strong cheese for pastas etc - you don't need so much because you get the taste - also the very strong low fat cheddar, although foul to eat is great for cooking.

I find you can get away with using no fat at all for most cooking - eg for spag bol I saute onions peppers etc in a little water first instead of oil. I also bulk up things like this with lots of veg and use less meat. DS2 is virtually vegi so i do use mince sub Q.... and you really can't tell the difference and it has so much less fat. You could also do what I do for him. I buy individual salmon portions - frozen ones are great - and when I do us a roast etc I put a salmon portion in for him and he has it with all the veg. May seem expensive but you will be buying less meat so it does balance out.

Sorry to have rambled do pm me. Perhaps we can prop each other up!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Small tip - you can buy a spray for oil at some kitchen stores, so you don't have to splash out on the expensive cans at the supermarket. The spray canister isn't exactly cheap, but you can refill it again and again with appropriate oil from a cheaper container!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Remember ... if you need some chocolate have dark chocolate, less calories and not too bad for you :wink: (although you should only have a few chunks and not the whole bar :roll: )

Works for me :) stops the chocolate craving all the time :x
Heartmum x x x
KB

Post by KB »

Try a little low fat yoghurt in mash.
Use a fork to put 'tram lines' in par boiled spuds before spray for 'dry roast'.
Potato wedges 'roast' in oven are good alternative to chips.
Sir fry chicken with lots of peppers & mushrooms - paprika is good seasoning.
Know there are risks with excess on a low-carb diet but is the only way that really works for me - tbh the only thing I can't do without on it is fruit so I tend to eat it in middle of day and not with protein. I do mean low-carb rather than no-carb though & don't go in for loads of red meat :)
Does seem to help if you don't eat high carb like spuds, rice, pasta, bread etc in the evening - just meat & veg. I find that easy as rest of the family can fill up on the carbs so don't need to cook different food.
It can be tricky but I am 'rude' and get down from table to do something else when ever I need to kick start (like after Christmas)so am not tempted to eat more - after a while I think you adjust so are not as hungry.
Another simple tip: drink a glass of water before the meal - makes you less hungry :) (Not suggesting this to stop anyone eating healthy amount - just for those of us who are tempted towards larger than necessary portions!)
Will check out some favourite meals when can.
Hope it goes well - the first week always seem hard but if, as you are aiming for, you can adjust your eating habits rather than go for a 'fad' diet I think it does get easier after a while.
Oh, & dry white wine spritzer is a good one :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Would completely endorse leaving the table - it really does work!

Also in our house there are no puddings during the week for anybody (children included) except yoghurt and fruit.

If crisps,not chocolate, are your thing try W........Baked Lites - good taste - I have packet every evening as my treat as I can really take or leave chocolate but not crisps.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Have you looked at Slow cookers? can do low fat meals, plenty of veg and cheap to use. ??
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now