Bed Times

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Bed Times

Post by doodles »

Does anybody else have trouble getting their DC to bed and more importantly to sleep? DS1 is 11 and DS2 is 7 - have tried all the usual tricks - wind down, reading, lights out, story cd's etc etc etc

Any tips please.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

DD (12) is wide awake as I write :roll: .
Loopy
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks LLL - makes me feel a bit better. DS1 is awake - that I can cope with he is in bed reading but DS2, who is 7, is also awake and he is the one that is bothering me.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

doodles wrote:Thanks LLL - makes me feel a bit better. DS1 is awake - that I can cope with he is in bed reading but DS2, who is 7, is also awake and he is the one that is bothering me.
My 5 year old was in bed but awake up until 9.30 :roll: I think she just hasn't adjusted back to the whole school routine and school is not yet taxing enough to exhaust her.
Likewise the other two 12 and 14 in bed but awake. :roll: It will improve for us (and you hopefully), as the term wears on ,but sometimes, they just aren't tired and as long as they are in bed, that's o.k.
Can't really knock them on the head with a large mallet.....
zorro

Post by zorro »

DS just gone to sleep!! He drives me crazy faffing round and taking ages in the shower.
I know I will have problems in the morning getting him up.
Ah, well- it's true ,we can't hit them over the head with a mallet.
MrsChubbs

Try inch bed time back

Post by MrsChubbs »

Don't know if you have a specific bed time for your kids but why not try inching back towards it bit by bit. Especially if they are really tired in the morning. Say a target of 5 minutes every night/other night. I found that if I said "in bed by x but you can read for 5/10 minutes, they became quite sleepy after that (warm snuggly bed etc). I also found stopping any ds/wii/playstation games at least 1 hour before bed made a difference to how calm they were. :)
Hope this helps.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

With my DS (11) the mention of VR sends him to bed straight away :lol:
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »