Why does WHSmith have an expiry date on their gift cards?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting the best

Why does WHSmith have an expiry date on their gift cards?

Post by wanting the best »

My DC was organising the study (bless :D ) when he/she found a WHSmith gift card which hadn't been used. Took it to the nearest shop only to be told it had expired. I fail to understand why WH Smith have an expiry date on a gift card. I have decided never to give these as a present now. Instead, i will be giving cash.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

That's dreadful!!!!!

Surely that must be wrong/illegal? How can they take your money, promise to swap it for the gift token and then say too late? I just don't understand how they can get away with it :shock: :shock:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We had the very same thing happen! I agree with you...why have an expiry date? My daughter lost out on £15 which, to a 10 year old, as she was at the time, is a lot of money.

Maybe we need to start a campaign? Although this isn't the best place to commence it!
doodles

Post by doodles »

That's appalling. Is it allowed?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'd write to customer services department and complain. You never know, they might issue you with a new one.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Let's hope WTB has kept theirs. We threw my daughter's out in disgust! I would not buy others now though.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Animis opibusque parati
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I really miss the old paper vouchers that said clearly on them what they were worth. I'd put them in my purse with the rest of my cash and would be much less likely to forget to use them. The new(ish) credit card style vouchers are so annoying. I got an M&S one at Xmas and the sender hadn't written on the card how much it was worth, so I had to ask at the checkout before I could plan what to spend it on. I also noticed a Next card in my purse the other day. I don't know if it's a full one, if it's had some money taken off it or if it's a completely used one that I've absent-mindedly pushed back into my purse.

And like other posters, I can see no reasonable excuse for putting a time limit on these things!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

John Lewis/Waitrose still use those lovely old-fashioned vouchers that you can put in your purse.

I know because I've got two lurking in mine tempting me at the moment!
cinnamon

Re: Why does WHSmith have an expiry date on their gift cards

Post by cinnamon »

wanting the best wrote:I fail to understand why WH Smith have an expiry date on a gift card.
To profit from all of us who overlook the expiry date, of course!

Funnily enough, while tidying up today I found a WH Smith's card from Christmas 2008 among husband's pile of junk - luckily they're valid for 2 years.

I agree it's annoying and can be embarrassing when you turn up at the checkout - I lost money on a Habitat card which I hadn't fully used and the terms on the back are in tiny writing. It seems nobody points out the limited validity when you buy the cards so you only find out when it's too late.