Male reception class teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Snowdrops wrote:All the more reason to have a male teacher early I'd say!
I agree , male role models are scarce for many children.

Good teachers are good teachers, regardless of gender.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
doodles

Post by doodles »

Male teachers are a great addition to a junior school and I feel that they should be encouraged. DS1 had a trainee male teacher part-time when he was in Reception and it was great. DS3 has a young male teacher in Yr 3 and is thriving. It is an all boys school so don't know if this makes any difference.

Thinking back I had a male midwife looking after me on the post-delivery ward when I had DS1 and he was excellent. Different type of care but really suited me - I would think that the same would apply to male reception teachers - a bit different but great all the same.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oh doodles you have just reminded me about my labour experience with DS1 and the big Greek doctor with fingers bigger than sausages....yelp! :(
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yuk yuk.

Sorry Mod rather off topic. Apologies.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I blame Tipsy entirely Doodles. SUCH a bad influence! :wink:

We have a male teacher at my school at the moment. They're almost as rare as hen's teeth.I've yet to meet a reception teacher who is male though.
zee

Post by zee »

Firstly, since you can't generally choose your child's class teacher, I wouldn't worry about it.

Secondly, there are too few men in teaching, especially in primaries, so in general I think it's a good thing (though obviously there are good and bad teachers of both genders).

Assuming the school has boys and girls, why on earth would "toileting" be more of an issue for a male teacher than a female (quite apart from the fact that in Reception, the children ought to be able to sort themselves out, and when they don't, there are TAs and matrons etc)?

If children see men and women in a variety of roles throughout their childhood, that should broaden their minds, and thus their options.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

My DD had a male teacher in yr1.
New to teaching, so very enthusiastic and caring. She was very sad when she didn't get him in yr2.
At parents evening, I found him to have open and honest opinions. Each teacher tends to vary.
I agree, it's the calibre of teacher that's key, not the gender.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My son's reception teacher was female but she wasn't very feminine and he really enjoyed her teaching style. He was also lucky enough to have a fantastic male teacher in year 4.

My daughter on the other hand has always had female teachers, which is a shame - being taught by male teachers in secondary education is bound to come as a shock :?
KB

Post by KB »

There are very strict guidlines about physical contact with between staff & pupils in school. It actually makes it very hard for all staff to comfort the little ones.
The big difference used to be that male teacher couldn't sit them on his lap but we are not even supposed to put our arms around them now!

Its not common for a man to be teaching Early Years so he's probably very keen & committed to have made this choice so I wouldn't worry :)
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Its not common for a man to be teaching Early Years so he's probably very keen & committed to have made this choice so I wouldn't worry

Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying.
:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now