12+ Exam

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Really not sure whether to go ahead, but my son came home with level 7 in a recent science test and all his marks suggest he is doing very well. He does the minimum required at all times, so maybe I owe it to him to have a go. I may give the advisory centre a call this afternoon. Or am I mad :evil: :?:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Go for it LFH. If it's a no then you are still in the same position so your son will not have lost out, but just think how you would feel if, after a bit of stress, he had a place at GS.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You have all our support.
Looking for help

Thank you everyone, you are all very kind :lol:
Looking for help

Oh well... I phoned the advice line and basically got told that because he failed once, the school would be entitled to refuse to let him sit another test. So no joy once again....I have to learn to take what I'm given :cry:

Thanks for your help once again
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry LFH. :cry:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I hope you're not too disappointed LFH. Did they say why the school was entitled to refuse?
Looking for help

No, just that it was quite usual for a school to take that stance, I suppose we could challenge it, but to be honest I am just getting myself all wound up again for no real reason other than he deserves another chance and I need to just accept our situation and get over it all. We are in a tricky position of sending 2 kids 15 miles in one direction and 1 15 miles in the other making it very tricky when OH is away (as he often is) and I just dont like it to be honest. There have been a couple of days when the youngest has been very sad at school and he hasn't had his older sisters there to help him, and I just feel so sorry for him although he kind of stoically accepts it all and tries his best to get on with it. I'm not sure I would have felt able to make him sit another test anyway because if he had failed that then I can;'t imagine how he'd feel, and obviously his nerves just get the better of him sometimes. I'm not really disappointed, I knew it was a shot in the dark, and unlikely to succeed anyway, just fed up all over again :( well only 2 years till the girls are completely finished with St Bs and then I think I will be truly delighted, wish I had never heard of the school. I suppose on another level it might be quite interesting to see whether he will eventually do better or worse than his siblings - although I will see to it that he does just fine. Oh here I go rambling on and on again, sorry folks, there's no-one in the real world who will listen to me anymore :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm so sorry LFH. xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

just that it was quite usual for a school to take that stance
I'm sure that part is true. The key question is how it fits with the quotations from the Code above.

Another line of attack would be to write to the school, with the quotations above, and ask them for the legal basis on which they will refuse to consider another application.

Entirely understand if you've had enough! :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now