Home education

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think if the school researched it properly they would find that they can normally be fully funded for a part-time flexi educated child, and that the absence can go down as authorised, or be dealt with some other more appropriate way.

I think a lot of heads don't know enough about it yet, and maybe when they say no do not have the full info. Those who have been turned down, what do you think was the real reason? Had the heads known more about it, might they have responded differently?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The feedback I got was that too many other parents would want to the same! :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes, that doesn't surprise me.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hmmmmmm - how many parents really want to part-time home school? I would only have thought that a high number would wish to in a school where there was a higher than average number of "educationally minded" parents, where at least one parent was not working full-time, and where the school was in some way failing the children. I'm not sure in how many schools this combination occurs in large numbers.

I could be completely wrong, but just my gut feeling that this is a knee-jerk response from a head without really having thought it through sufficiently.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I can echo (third hand, mind) what Tipsy says - A family who had children at my kids school asked to flexi-school and were told no - because if you do it then everyone will want to. I would say there is a high percentage of educationally minded families at the school and the Head Teacher's assessment was probably right. I reckon if I thought the answer would be yes I would seriously consider it.

The family in question moved their children to another school that already had children on flexi-contracts and if you look at the school's Ofsted report you can see there is a high rate of authorised absences, with a little note explaining about the flexi-schooling.

If I didn't have to work I would love to home school my kids :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

Pixiequeen, please can you tell me the name of the school that has the note in their OFSTED report? PM me if you prefer. I live in Kent, but it's the kind of thing it would be useful to show our HT if I ever take the plunge and go down this route.

Do you think that the school that said "yes" to flexi-schooling has a higher or lower proportion of pupils on flexi contracts than the school that said "no" to flexi-schooling would have had if it had said "yes" (if you see what I mean!)

Are you still in touch with the family who are flexi-schooling? Does it have any downsides?
Hector

Post by Hector »

Like Tipsy, one reason given to me was that it would open the flood-gates. :roll: And as the school is a small one it would become difficult for the teachers to plan lessons etc, if lots of children were missing at various times. I did point out that the school could state conditions of flexi-schooling(for example that all mornings must be attended for literacy and maths(the dreaded Sats))-to no avail. :(
However, the Head did tell me that the time away from school would not be counted as an absence, but recorded as"learning off-campus" and funding would therefore not be affected. :roll: :?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I took my dd2 out at end of year 4 when I discovered her new teacher was ridiculing her in front of the class because she used different methods to everyone else in maths, (dd s answers were correct) there was only one other child as good; she used the same unconventional approach but being Indian the teacher didn't criticise her to her face.
I thought it would become a chore and a hugely onerous but as the year unwound I can honestly say we each enjoyed it tremendously. The LEA were pretty awful about it and did their best to intimidate me into changing my mind. There was ample evidence to hand of the value and level of what we were doing when their inspectors called so there was not much they could do.
I only returned her to school (different one) for the final year of primary when three years of stalling by my solicitor in a divorce drove me to take the case on myself and I found I couldn't do both!
I proved to my own satisfaction that school one was cramping her creativity and interest in most subjects. HE didn't make her insular, quite the reverse, and most of the good habits have remained with her. She keeps a note book for each subject and often takes notes in class. She does spectacularly well in most things because she is self-motivated and happy.