Kids Ski Trip Advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midget Man

Kids Ski Trip Advice

Post by Midget Man »

Hello. I thought I would try and pick the brains of some of you here if you have experience of kids going on a ski trip!

My Midget Man is going to Austria in 7 weeks and just wanted advice on the clothing and accessories that children cannot do without. He has the main items of salopette's,jacket,socks etc. I have seen advertised these 'wrist warmer' type wraps, would they be useful and make it more comfortable? Also, have heard I will need velcro ski ties, but then someone else mentioned there is one that has a strap to go over the shoulder? What are they called and would they make it alot easier for the kids who have to carry all of their own stuff?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sorry, no experience of skiing at all.
I hope he has a super time.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Cheers Eds mum. They all had a 2hr lesson on Friday and he actually really surprised me with how well he took to it, him being such a midget has probably helped him have a lower sense of gravity :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ha! Maybe I would be good at it then?
Hopefully, someone with lots of experience will be along to give some advice.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Most important after helmets are thermals. Ties for skis are a good idea, keeping them together when you're carrying them. I've not seen ones with a strap to go over the shoulders, but that would be a great idea, they are heavy and hard to carry. Lots of socks, spare gloves, goggles are essential even if the weather is good, I think you can get tinted ones for sunshine. Layers are best because you can take things off if you get too hot, a bumbag or rucksack to carry stuff, and of course suncream, and moisturiser and lip salve (extreme weather does terrible things to your skin). You can get snood type tubes to go round your neck to pull up over your mouth and nose when it is very cold. Although if he's going at Easter, the weather might be glorious and he'll come back with a tan :lol:

We haven't actually been for a couple of years, so may have forgotten a few essentials.

Hope he has a great time, am jealous now :lol: :lol:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Thanks for that LFH, think I will need to try and find one of these over the shoulder ski tie/carry thingy :lol:

I have got the thermal things but not spare pairs of gloves yet, will have to get onto that now? He has a pair of normal gloves so should I also get a pair of mits as the spare? Are they easier for kids? I told you I had no clue, I just know that it's costing us alot of money :lol: :lol:
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS went last year and is going again at Easter - he really loved it.
I think thermals are very important plus a really good jacket with lots of pockets for ski pass, sun screen etc.
Half of the stuff I bought he didn't wear! :roll: Oh yes - a sturdy pair of boots for apres ski activities.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Hi Zorro-I was thinking about the apres boots I am still to buy and also the rucksack they will need for daily use-Will it have to fit the apres boots in? Or are these stored somewhere once at the slopes when collecting the ski things? :roll:
solimum

Post by solimum »

At Easter it is likely to be quite warm at times in the sun but much colder standing around at altitude, so definitely thin layers which can be unzipped. As the main ski season is earlier there may well be bargains soon - also places like Aldi sometimes do a skiwear/ outdoor range, also try the discount high street sports shops. Depending on whether he tends to feel the cold he may not need thermal leggings under the trousers (some have worn old pyjama trousers instead!). Being a boy he may happily wear the same thermal vest all week, so be prepared when you open his case!

A fleecy balaclava-style hat is useful for keeping the neck/ ears /mouth warm, and more practical than a scarf which can be a nuisance. They would fit under a helmet (which seem to be the rule on kids trips nowadays)

Boots etc for evening activities- really just a pair of stout trainers/walking shoes with decent grip would do (unless they've been specifically told otherwise). This is for walking around the resort in the evenings when (depending on how high they're actually staying) there may well be ice/ snow on the paths. Activities like bowling/swimming/tobogganing etc may be arranged too. Can you find out where their hotel is in relation to the slopes, as if they're staying a coach ride further down in the valley there probably won't be snow left there.

I've had velcro ties with a strap, which can be useful- if you can find some easily give it a try, but they mostly soon learn how to clip the skis together and carry them over the shoulder with just the ordinary velcro ties (which are also useful for spotting your own skis amongst the stacks of identical rental pairs...). The hardest bit is learning to walk in the ski boots!

There will probably be a disco on the last night so make sure he has one respectable smart top to charm the girls ( and plenty of Lynx!)

Gloves - I would suggest one decent pair of proper skiing gloves (try TK MaXX for bargains - don't pay silly prices) and perhaps a spare cheaper pair. Plus maybe some knitted extras for the inevitable evening snowball fights...

Many people ski in wrap-around sunglasses (on a string...) rather than goggles unless it is actually snowing heavily. Again you can pick these up quite cheaply in order to have a spare.

I'm also very jealous - friends of mine went off on a group trip at the weekend, which I've been on in the past....
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Regarding moonboots/snowboots (i.e. not skiboots) - it depends where they are staying. If they are in a low resort and taken up to the snow by bus or cable car, then snow boots as such probably won't be necessary as they will wear their ski boots to and from the resort. If there is likely to be snow on the ground in their resort, however, a cosy pair of snow boots can make going out in the evening so much more pleasant (and will get plenty of extra use the next time it dumps with snow in this country if he hasn't grown out of them by then!)

Solimum's suggestion of a balaclava is a good idea as anything else can't be worn with a helmet.

It's true that shorter people tend to find skiing quite easy - I expect it's something to do with the centre of gravity or not having so far to fall...in my experience the converse is also true, with taller than average people finding it a difficult skill to learn.

I hope he has a lovely trip! DD1 is also going on a school ski trip at Easter and she will keep going on about it to the rest of us :roll: :lol:
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now