breaking an addiction

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zorro

Post by zorro »

Oh Moose, I am so with you on this one!! My DS is same age as yours and also addicted to Call of Duty PS3 as apparently are several of his friends! :roll: Does your son use the microphone where they can talk to each other? We have limited him to an hour at a time and then has to have a break and also during term time weekends only, but have to resort to bad language and threats of violence to get him off it! I hope it is a phase but when things are rushed in order to get back to the wretched game it makes me tempted to put the disc in the bin.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh Wurzel you made me laugh and blush at the same time - for I am that woman! Many years ago before DC I actually cut the plug off of the TV 'cos I was so fed up with DH who had watched back to back sport one weekend and wouldn't come out to Sunday lunch with friends because there was some match or other on!!!! So when I threaten to do the same to the PS2 DC's can't quite work out if I am serious or not ......... I probably wouldn't but they are not to know that!!!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I sympathise :roll: my son's x box has parental controls and you can set it up to limit it to 1 or 2 (or whatever) hours.

We have an agreement that gaming can only take place after homework etc and that its limited to a certain amount of time. If he wants extra time, he has to earn it - by doing chores, coming to walk the dogs etc.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My son's a fellow addict of COD on the PS3 with the headphones and everything. It was his last day off today and he announced that he was going to have a day of 'intensive COD' with his friends today.

He would play all day and not eat anything if we allowed him to. (Year 8). I know this sounds like we're bad parents but his friends genuinely ARE all doing it too! I know that doesn't make it right but I'm young enought to remember how important it is to fit in. And I know that sounds like bad parenting too.

Good luck with trying to lessen the addiction.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

My DS also is addicted to COD and sadly has ear phones as well. I have to be really clear about the rules and how much is allowed but given the opportunity he would play all day.

He thinks that I am far to measley with the amount of time he is allowed but he will rush homework so he can play luckily for me his effort grades for homework were only satisfactory last term I was silently praying for this :lol: so he knows that unless there is a huge increase in the effort then his playing days are over apparently Im :evil:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

work with hos addiction and use the internet to provide extra work. BBC and woodlands are good sites, otherwise google subjects
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

What a wonderful thread. I have a son who is heading this way. Almost throw the Wii away this half term. So glad. Not jjust me!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Did you see Supernanny, Jo Frost's latest programme (Extreme Parental Guidance - Channel 4) about a 10 year old who was addicted to computer games.

They weaned him off gradually, and did more as a family. The conclusion was that the Mum was struggling to look after his younger siblings and so he turned to the computer as his source of entertainment.

It had some useful tips on it if.

Hope this helps.
wurzel

Post by wurzel »

So relieved by all these posts, as I was afraid my original one made me sound like a crazy woman. Doodles, I would have done it, but was dreading the bother of rewiring the plug in a week or two when calm was restored, and was almost sure DSs would back down at this point before I made the threat. I wouldn't dare do it to OH!

It isn't always so bad in our house. Usually the time limit is respected, if I allow ten minutes whinging time for "finishing the level", but a wet, cold half term holiday with few outdoor opportunities sent me over the edge! Awful elder DS was lovely this evening by the way, and got down to two hours' homework (and no Wii) without complaint. A guilty conscience perhaps.
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

One good way of REALLY putting them off is to become an addict yourself one half term, and beat them at it! They lose interest then. :twisted:

Or you could book a camping holiday for a couple of weeks without gadgets, and on your return home allow games only as rewards (set on socket timers).

My husband is the real game addict in our family - any ideas how to deal with that?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now