Post by Ed's mum »

Decree nisi? :wink:
fruit salad

Post by fruit salad »

:shock:

:P
moved

Post by moved »

We provide very limited access, PC has parental controls, etc. DS is often banned for inappropriate playing. He got my old SEGA out from the bottom drawer when I took the Wii games to bed. DSi is usually in my bedroom at night, but then he just reads, so apart from remove the light bulbs I have no recourse!

Very difficult to argue that he doesn't have the right to spend hours on the Wii/PC when I spend so much time on here! As I often state he lives in an autocracy and when he is older he can live in a democracy.

Our problem is that he doesn't sleep much so will get up in the middle of the night and play games. When cross, frustrated, exasperated, tired (you get the gist) I put his DSi in the attic. It was fine apart from the fact that he spent the week being noisy with the dogs and being a pain in the neck when I was trying to study.

All computer games were banned for two weeks, eventually he took to spending hours reading.

He is fine to reason with but I think some of them just have that obsessive personality.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Obsessive personality!

Wonder who these children get it from!
Freya

Post by Freya »

I think it's a problem with technology full stop. When we were young there was the family T.V with 3/4 channels and that was it. I used to (still do!) read obsessively or draw / paint to pass the time indoors. During school holidays / weekends if the weather was decent I'd be off with friends on my bike, climbing trees, building dens, rope swings etc from dawn till dusk!

Contrast DS who thankfully spends loads of time outdoors playing sport but when indoors spends every available minute interacting with one piece of technology or another :roll: . It could be the Wii, the Nintendo DS, the i-Pod touch, the PC (facebook, various online games etc), or even the tiny games on his phone :roll:

Apart from it now being very hard to motivate him to read at any length (which he needs to do) or watch something worthwhile with us on T.V without trying to play technology at the same time, it has a detrimental, over-stimulating effect on his brain!

We have banned ALL technology (apart from the T.V programme we are watching) for the last hour before bed. He is encouraged to read during this time and take the book up to bed too for half an hour. He is allowed no technology in his bedroom (bedrooms are for sleeping in). We have found that he settles to sleep much quicker and appears more refreshed in the mornings.

Weekends we are pretty lenient with technology during the day. We are often out for his rugby anyway. Had to laugh one weekend though: DS came to me and said "I think Dad has a serious problem" Why? "Because he has been on COD for 6 hours now and won't let me have a go" :shock:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
Padstow

Post by Padstow »

Thank you for all the brilliant replies! Big smile from Paddy!

My problem with DS is that I can't use the games as rewards. The more I give him, the more he wants. The less I give him, the more he wants. He dosen't play any age-inappropriate games as I am very strict with that. No Call of Duty or killing spree or even stick page zombies.

It is the football and Super-Smash series that has got him in their grip. The boy eats,breathes,sleeps,drinks Pro-evolution and all that!

He does not play at will and without permission but it is the following around the house,trying to convince me he only needs another 5,10,15,half an hour to get to the next stage that is so draining.

I think it will end up cold turkey as with all addictions. We have limited time to do things as a family too and have tried that route but as said by one of you,the atrocious weather over the last 2 months have not helped. Now that school has started again, we might have a better chance at making things work.

I have to look up that Jo Frost thing; probably someone needs to take charge. I am fed up of the arguments and being the bad cop.

Thank you very much for letting me know that at least I haven't busted the TV or snipped anything! I am a good cop. lol.

Padstow
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Oooh, it's so nice to see everyone else struggles...try this one: hid DS'sDS in such a good place (for a week's ban) that I now can't find it :oops: ...he is occasionally allowed to borrow mine (which I bought to replace his, only don't tell him) :lol: and his sister rents hers to him, which limits his activity on that one!! 8)
Padstow

Post by Padstow »

oh no. don't give my DS any more ideas. There is only one of everything in this house. His sister is not at all interested in the PC/xbox so it's good to know money will not change hands.

Aren't all addictions horrible? I haven't told you about my husband's...
moved

Post by moved »

PB Mum wrote:Oooh, it's so nice to see everyone else struggles...try this one: hid DS'sDS in such a good place (for a week's ban) that I now can't find it :oops: ...he is occasionally allowed to borrow mine (which I bought to replace his, only don't tell him) :lol: and his sister rents hers to him, which limits his activity on that one!! 8)
I love the renting idea. :P
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Gosh I feel I've walked into an alternative world here :shock:

My dd doesn't have any addictions :shock: :shock: She has a Wii and a ds, has full access to her own computer and can watch tv whenever she wants - but doesn't take up any of these options for any length of time.

Is she normal???????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I can understand how frustrating it must be if your dc's are that way inclined - no easy solutions are there!