Present for getting first choice school?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

teffi

Post by teffi »

Did not the Scots used to serve deep fried Mars Bar in batter a few years ago? I've never tried it, sounds disgusting.

Back to topic : prezzy here was a new set of cricket pads ( DS was getting anyway) and a Liverpool scarf he wanted. Granny baked him a cake for teatime after school on allocations day.
rachag

Post by rachag »

That sausage in batter is haunting me too. Not had one for years and never seen them in local f & c shop. Have since checked availability elsewhere though...

Radio 4 programme some years ago and guests asked what was most disgusting thing they had ever had to eat on their travels. As well as sheeps eyeballs and warm fresh monkey brain, one guest said worst thing he had ever experienced was the Scottish deep fried pizza. Said looked like a pale moonscape.

Agree present for effort and then treat all the family with meals out if offered place / scholarship etc. My DD 2 def put on back burner while worrying about DD 1 and she also got present when DD1 got effort prezzie.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Pleased to report that sausage in batter has been bought and eaten and enjoyed.

I suggested the children bought a large chips between them so I could sneak a small plate of the left overs with a glass of wine while listening to The Archers. Could anyone suggest a more perfect way to spend 15 minutes?
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

If my DD had got into the grammar school we put onto our CAF, she would have got a present - a grammar school education and a ........ bus pass (£200+ per term)!!!!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:Pleased to report that sausage in batter has been bought and eaten and enjoyed.

I suggested the children bought a large chips between them so I could sneak a small plate of the left overs with a glass of wine while listening to The Archers. Could anyone suggest a more perfect way to spend 15 minutes?
2 glasses of wine, the left over chips and 2 sausages in batter...please...anyone...
mad?
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Rose petal wrote:If my DD had got into the grammar school we put onto our CAF, she would have got a present - a grammar school education and a ........ bus pass (£200+ per term)!!!!!
Exactly what my son will get - well, we'll think about the bus pass - as he can get a ride in every day with Dad :)

I have to admit, I saw the title of this thread and though - 'you have GOT to be kidding'......why would we 'reward' a child for gaining something that he or she had absolutely no say in after passing the test with the mark that they got?

I certainly agree it's reason to celebrate......it's a huge thing in our house as it opens the door sibling wise to my next two!
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

teffi wrote:Did not the Scots used to serve deep fried Mars Bar in batter a few years ago? I've never tried it, sounds disgusting.
They're actually quite nice but have to be eaten straight away. Same principle as a banana fritter or chocolate and banana pastie! Once they go cold they start to congeal
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bromley Mum, back to the OP. How weird of anyone to think you would give a present on allocation day to the child? Maybe some parents try to give them to the LEA officials prior to allocation day (ha ha) but I can't see much point in giving one to the child.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I presented my son with a small white chocolate mother cat hugging her kitten (obviously intended for the Easter market :D ) from Thorntons. The shop assistant spent some time trying to fit "Well Done" on it in chocolate icing!

My son then mentioned a girl from his school got a laptop for passing her exam :shock:

I think he appreciated the chocolate, though!
doodles

Post by doodles »

A laptop!!! Can I take a few exams please if that is the going rate!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now