AARRGGHH!! My DS is showing signs of being a talented artist

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suncrest

AARRGGHH!! My DS is showing signs of being a talented artist

Post by suncrest »

My worst fears!

DS - a good 'all rounder', has excelled himself in Art in his first year at senoir school and is 'top' of his year with 99% (indie school). The art teacher did talk about it at parent's evening....'talented, natural ability,..' but I had my imaginary fingers in my ears and was singing la la la'

Sorry for offending any fellow artists (Yes I am one too), but I so wanted DS not to have the artists family streak. (I am an artist, my mother and great grandfather were 'known' artists).

He has thus far managed to avoid anything to do with art (bar junk modelling at primary school) and has always said he doesn't like drawing or painting and I have never really encouraged him, except for the fact that he sees me working every day. But now under what can only be described as excellent tuition he has 'discovered' that he can draw.

I just want him to have a proper profession :cry:

Of course now I am encouraging him with all the right noises, but deep down I just dont want him to do this.

I expect I will get lots of replies saying just let him get on with what he enjoys, but I can see that he could follow may routes - he is also good at maths and sciences and is second in the year at English too.....I just don't think it can carry on like this - being good at all (diverse) subjects and I am so hoping that he doesn't veer towards art.

Just wondering if anyone else is in anything like this situation?

I know I should ignore my wishes and desires for my DS, but at the moment I just can't
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

ROFL - sorry! :lol: :oops:

I am glad you have posted this because I have been really worried about my children's lack of talent in this area. Although not professional artists OH and I are very gifted in this area and my boys are hopeless. :? DS2 showed amazing signs at 4 and then they vanished. :lol: So you have given me some hope. :D

EDIT: Now is the time to think about sending him to a boys school as lots of girls take art and the boys miraculously discover an interest in the subject. Clearly he needs no excuses!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Suncrest - my advice ENJOY his talents -as for proper jobs - they are not all they are cracked up to be I promise! Anyway, if he wants one of those how about Architecture or some such profession where he can combine both sets of talents.

I would really encourage my children to think outside of the box for a job and not follow a traditional path. Both DH (talented linguist) and I did - I escaped after nearly 20 years and am so happy, he poor man has yet to do so.........
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

Hi Suncrest,

sorry no words of advice, but I am intrigued. Is life as an artist so terrible? I am quite arty and would have loved to have taken art at O-Level and further, but 'wasn't allowed' :roll: My daughter loves art and being some sort of artist is one of her (many) careers choices.

What is it about your career that is to be avoided? Or is it just that growing up with artists and being one yourself, you just fancied a bit of a change for your son?
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Oh of all the people I thought you would say discourage him all you can....thanks tipsy :lol:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Hi Inca

Yes you have it on all counts. I could have either done sciences or arts - my laid back bohemien parents said follow your heart to a 14yr old that meant art at the time and I always wonder what if.......

I have made a sucessful career out of it but really wanted DS to be different. I don't want him to be thinking what if in 25 years time I suppose!
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think that happens whatever you do :roll:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

Yes Doodles I guess so :(

I know I should be like my parents who just let me get on with it but I wouldn't be on this site then would I :wink:
IncaGold

Post by IncaGold »

HI Suncrest,

Funny... I was 'encouraged' to do sciences. And then went on to work too many years in an unrewarding, unfulfilling job. I've often wondered 'what if' I'd been allowed to pursue art!!
tense

Post by tense »

Oh suncrest! I can sort of see where you're coming from. Although your family seems to have had great artistic success, I guess that isn't really the norm. Are you worried that your DS won't be able to make a decent living? That people will look down on him because he hasn't chosen an academic path?

You say your DS is in his first year - so there's a long time to go before he commits himself!!

Wish I was artistic. I can hardly glue in homework sheets straight!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now