Last wk at primary - sad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cats12

Last wk at primary - sad?

Post by Cats12 »

Is anyone feeling similar to me - a little bit sad :( that this is DS's last wk at primary school? DS doesn't appear at all sad but that's no surprise as generally he doesn't think further than 5 minutes ahead at any one time so he may well feel a little sad come friday.
I have presentation day to come and just know it will be emotional (will try my best to keep dry eyes) but remember when DD left and eyes glistened a little (she was ok though few friends v upset).
It's not that they're not ready to leave but it is a kind of watershed (tho they don't realise it at the time) and they change so much when they go to senior school - in good ways too, I know. We can't keep them in never never land but......
Rob Clark

Re: Last wk at primary - sad?

Post by Rob Clark »

God no, couldn’t wait to get shot of the place :lol:

DCs were (more than) ready to leave and so were we! Much prefer secondary school, so many more opportunities for them and at least now if they have a rotten teacher from time to time, it’s only in one subject rather than across the board…
Amber

Post by Amber »

No, I'm with you cats12 - I really am sad when these days are over. My sons are at a fabulous primary school (much nicer than the inde my daughter left without a backwards glance a few years ago) and I do feel sad that DS1's life will never be so carefree or such fun again. It all gets so serious so quickly at secondary, and there is such a lot of pressure on them. Our lot have gone swimming today, then later there is a staff-pupil rounders match and barbecue - they all looked so happy going in there today. So yes, I'll probably have the tissues out at the leavers' assembly on Wednesday - they have made 'memory books' apparently (worst, best, most embarrassing etc) and will be reading out of them.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

2 very different experiences in past for my DCs. first very upbeat and positive - kids went away glowing and looking forward to future, second - staff wound up kids (girls only school) - they all appeared sobbing... started out with form teacher handing out packets of tissues....

Gimme first school anyday :roll:
marigold

Post by marigold »

I am with Rob on this one.

May be a different feeling on Wednesday at 3.15, I will report back.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Last day of Summer term is traumatic, tears everywhere!
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

DS is quite keen to move on now although he will miss his friends. He doesn't do 'emotion' anyway, so will probably just grunt at me in usual fashion :)

I will be quite sad for myself though as DD is moving schools too, so it will be goodbye to a lovely school and all my school gate friends.

I did feel a teensy bit emotional at the presentation assembly last week - the school had chosen the youngest boy (DS) and girl in Yr 6 to carry the banner and lead all the Yr 6 children into and out of the church. I can still remember when he started at just 4 yrs old - what a change over the last 7 years!
Salfordmum

Post by Salfordmum »

Not one bit. My daughter tried for Loreto in Trafford, and just missed the mark. We didnt appeal as we knew our second choice (high performing CofE) was just as good. Cant wait for her to leave primary - an RC church school, and to be frank I have never experienced so much back biting and nastiness in my life. Church regulars being the worst offenders! It will be a relief to watch her get on the school bus and leave all that behind, although having said that the kids in her class are all great, not having picked up the bad habits of their parents (so far!!)
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Mixed feelings for me :D :(

Sad because that's one chapter closing in the life of my DD ... :( but really excited for her as she's going to a lovely school, one that she is really looking forward to (and we are for her :D )
Heartmum x x x
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

EXCITED!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DS is feeling a mixture of emotions - happy, sad and angry. He is angry because he knows that he has got to leave primary school and doesn't have a choice, sad because he is going to miss primary school, and happy because he is off to pastures new and very much loking forward to it. The happiness is the strongest emotion for him, so all good :D

I just know that I will be getting emotional at the end of this week and embarassing DS no end though! :lol: