camp quest

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I think with this particular group, they are primarily trying to push the "Our primary task is to make human beings aware in the simplest terms of what Humanism can mean to them and what it commits them to." side of it and have latched on to the outward bound/camp experience as a way of getting the kids in.

I'd be very wary of any group trying to push anything other than the outward bound/camp activities on to the kids.
Freya

Post by Freya »

I would have no concerns.

If the literature said "The camp is broadly Christian involving a daily prayer" hardly anyone would bat an eyelid!

Teaching children to be free thinkers, to question their world using a scientific, logical approach is no bad thing in my book. It's not like saying, "right now all bow down to my invisible alien space fairy god* and obey these rules and doctrines without question".

I think camps like the one in question here are a bit of a kick back against the many religious ones on offer, particularly in the USA, where they can be quite scarily fundamental to the point of brain washing.

* expressed as such so as not to pick on any particular flavour of religion and thus hopefully avoid offending anyone
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
Tree

Post by Tree »

Teaching children to be free thinkers, to question their world using a scientific, logical approach
It was for this reason that my ds wanted to go his grandad gave him dawkins book 'the greatest show on earth' which he really got into and wanted to explore it's ideas more. He has been to PGL for a few years now and although he enjoys the activities to some extent that isn't really his thing my ds spends his whole day reading at parents evening a couple of weeks ago they told us he was reading too much trying to sneak a book into PE! so he and us thought the extra 'ideas' part of this camp may be up his alley, I hope the adults are fair and open and don't try to indoctrinate (it's an interesting point if you can indoctrinate non indoctrination - 1000 words discuss) but i certainly did not intend any advertising.

I really posted this thread just to see if anyone had sent their kids on this before and what it was like it was certainly not meant to be a political post and it wasn't my intention to start a debate on religion/humanism etc which will probably get rapidly out of hand and blocked pretty quickly.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Tree, sorry I didn't realise you only wanted feedback on the facilities - you posted CampQuest's web address so I looked.
Caythorpe is a well-known outward bounds facility used by many schools - it is great - another 'company' coming in to use it seems harmless enough. But the CampQuest aims i'd question, like I would those of any other company/religious group/non-religious group that proposes teaching my kids other than how to safely tackle the zip wire - this is not a political comment, simply opinion/feedback/concern.
Hope your DS has a great time
Tree

Post by Tree »

Hey thanks cats i would be interested as well in experience of the camp quest part and what anyones experience was ie over heavy, fun, boring stimulating etc and indeed definatly if people had felt their kids were being indoctrinated (although i have just realised that it's only been going a few years and so there have probably only been a 100 or so kids on it so statistically it's probably unlikely that people on here have been on it although this is a special forum)
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Are there any participant reviews? Usually are with holiday companies, though not sure if companies are obliged to publish the bad and the good, so they may be selective
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I believe it was this camp (the company, not the location) which was featured on tv a while ago. I just wish I could remember what the outcome of it was - I do know they looked at and questioned the ideals behind it all.
KB

Post by KB »

From reading the literature it seems pretty clear that they intend to push one particular view onto the children.
I would not send my children to a residential Camp that professed to be teaching in this way - the children are very vulnerable to indictrination in this situation.

As Christians, our DCs have gone to residential Christian Camps but only with local youth leaders who we trust - I would be wary of sending them to even a 'Christian' Camp as there are all kinds of groups that run these & you cannot be sure how much indoctrination there might be.

FWIW I would also be careful about youngsters reading Dawkins & would make sure they have access to the counter arguments as well so they do not just accept his views without reaslising they have been brought into question.

I realise that my Faith makes me naturally anti-Dawkins! but my children have read his work as well as criticisms of it. Some of this is pretty heavy stuff for youngsters & they need plenty of opportunity to discuss their thoughts and understand the differing views. Parents may not have all the knowledge to provide this but I would certainly want to keep a close watch on what my children were being taught and by who.

I am not meaning to argue the wrongs & rights of the different belief systems here - just that I wouldn't send my child to a residential camp that was teaching any of them unless they were accomapnied by an adult that I knew and trusted.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Thanks KB certainly understand your standpoint but am not sure this is right forum (so to speak) to get into this debate, i agree with the principle of a balanced viewpoint. In defense of my DS he reads lots and if you talk to him he really gets both sides of this debate.
KB

Post by KB »

Wasn't suggesting your DS doesn't have a balanced view -clearly I have no idea of your particular situation! Was really just a general aside to my response to your question about the merits of the Camp - to which my reply was I admit a generalisation about this type of Camp rather than having specific experience of this organisation.

I was most certainly not trying to get into a debate about the issue - just responding to the issue under discussion about whether any Camps that profess to focus on a specific view are a good idea.

Your DS sounds very sensible & not easily 'indoctrinated' but being in a residential situation makes even adults more vulnerable so I would still be wary.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now