camp quest

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
samanthastein

Re: camp quest

Post by samanthastein »

Hi everyone,

I am the founder of Camp Quest in the UK - I started the first CQ in the UK in 2009. I just thought I would address some of the issues raised, so you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

The purpose of the US Camp Quests was and remains to provide an alternative to the multitude of religious camps over there. Many of the children, especially in the Southern states, often do not know anyone like themselves, and if they openly declare themselves as non-believers it can have devastating social consequences in school, and in the local community.

I went over to volunteer at the CQ in Michigan in 2007 and decided to bring it to the UK. Obviously the UK is a very different culture ESPECIALLY with regards to religion, and so our first year was very much testing the waters. The media portrayed us as an "atheist" camp, singing "Imagine no religion" around the camp fire (which never actually happened), but really, the question of religion didn't come up. Last year our theme was Evolution, and our talks and activities focussed on that. This year, our theme is the Mind, and so we will be discussing topics ranging from neuroscience to philosophy of mind. I think as the UK camp evolves, we will settle into our niche more and more.

I'd prefer to think of us as a secular skeptical camp, rather than an atheist camp. Perhaps the two go together. But we certainly don't "require" any of the children to be atheists, nor is it necessarily encouraged. What is encouraged is critical thinking, and a healthy dose of skepticism. A camp where we sit around talking about how there's no god would be a boring one indeed - and certainly not something I'd want to be involved with.

I know this response is a bit late - I get google alerts when our name comes up on the Internet, and so have only just seen this. I know it's a bit hard to convince someone that you really have no "evil atheist agenda" (especially over the Internet) :lol:, but we are honest, friendly people, trying to help the kids have a good time, while expanding their perceptions of learning outside the classroom.

For me, the most important part of camp is trying to get the children to see that learning is not something that stops when you finish school, and that there are many different types of learning to be done! I mean, what other summer camp, or even school, gets the kids talking about philosophy from the age of 8? :) :D

Samantha
Director, Camp Quest UK
Tree

Post by Tree »

Hi all and samantha

Just a little feedback DD came back from Caythorpe at weekend and had a great time the main positives were:

he enjoyed the combination of activities and some interesting debates were he felt is opinion was valued and listened too but also challenged.

he liked being part of a smaller group with like minded kids

the councellors (leaders) were really kind and had a intellectual existential approach to discipline which sadly he doesn't get at home and which he thought was great

So i would encourage anyone who is happy with the free thinking non religous (rather than anti religous) approach to think about it.

Please PM me if you want some further info
Tree

Re: camp quest and now tech camp

Post by Tree »

We are going with

http://www.techcamp.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this year. Has anyone any experience with this, once again i wasn't sure about advertising and would be happy with some PM's
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

This looks really good, I might sign up my kids for this.
Tree

Post by Tree »

Feedback on techcamp

Ds found it amazing he built some simple rockets with proper dangerous rocket fuel and a couple of lazer quest type guns which he brought home and we have had some cool battles in the garden with. This all involved alot of soldering and woodwork and metalwork his spare time seemed to involve reverse engineering (taking/smashing apart) old TV's and printers etc he came home dead chuffed, so maybe not us philosophically challenging as camp quest but was very good.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I have a dear friend wo sent her son to 'camp quest' this summer. Beyond delighted, really enjoyed it, will go again :)
mad?
marigold

Post by marigold »

Following Tree's postings last year my son went to Camp Quest this year.
He had the most wonderful time at a beautiful house near the sea in Somerset and will definitely be going again next year. The camp is a fantastic mix of traditional activities ( high wires, mountain biking, mountain boarding etc ) and intellectual stimulation. This years topic was " What is science ? " and my son is still bringing up issues they discussed almost on a daily basis.
I did not get the impression that religion really came into it at all, apart perhaps from a screening of "Life of Brian " one evening.
As Tree mentioned last year about his sons's experience, my son really relished being part of a group of like minded children who enjoyed being challenged, with the added benefit of all the outside stuff that a 12 year old boy needs too.

More importantly he enjoyed the food.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now