4 year old daughter in Sydney boo hoo hoo...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

4 year old daughter in Sydney boo hoo hoo...

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thankfully it's just for a holiday, and I still have my ten year old at home but I'm rattling round the house like a lost soul, pea whatever.... She's gone with daddy to see her Godfather who is in palliative care so - and this probably sounds silly- I like to think that this is sort of our gift to him. It's been keeping him going for the last few weeks and he's so very excited about her visit, but she's never been away for more than a couple of days before...
She only left yesterday and will be gone for 11 more days!! She's such a lively little chatter box and it's so, so quiet. I'm trying to tell myself it's good practise for when she starts school in September and it's great to spend uninterrupted quality time with my son (I aim to do lots of fun things with him when he's finished school), but I miss her dreadfully.
How does anyone else cope?
Thanks for listening to my pathetic whinging :oops:
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Its not pathetic and its not whinging. Its what us mothers do when our flock fly away. I feel this way when the kids go back to school after holidays, never mind half way around the world! Try and keep busy and try not to think too much about her not being with you. I know its easier said than done. Write her a letter but be sure not to write that you are missing her because that will make her miss you. If you post it soon she should get it. Imagine how excited she would be to get a letter from you. Look at this time as bonding time with your son and do all the fun things you have got planned. You are in my thoughts.
KB

Post by KB »

Actually it does get easier - keep busy and in a few days you will be able to start planning for her coming home :)

As you say it is a great opportunity for both your children to get individual time with a parent so you have some good things to focus on too.

This isn't supposed to sound like a lecture/unsymapthetic because I miss even my big ones when they are away! but if it gets really bad I try to think about how blessed I am that I know where they are, they are safe and well & they will be coming home soon.

Hope you feel happier soon - the first few days really are the worst.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Aw thanks. A card or letter is a lovely idea.
It's not unsympathetic, and yes, I do actually think thank goodness she'll be coming home, although I was a little concerned when my husband complained that the identity bands we'd bought for her weren't waterproof. :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

When children go on school trips they tend to be much better if they don't call home - it makes them feel more homesick!
Might be worth checking with her Dad how much contact he thinks will be helpful given how much she is missing you?

Mine never missed me as much as I missed them & now they only call if they need something :wink:

Hope you all enjoy the positive aspects of the next couple of weeks - & have a great 'reunion'!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now