Sleeping problems with 11 yr old DS - all advice welcome

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Post by KB »

I would agree that its probably best to get some professional help - but if you want to calm him while you wait for an apppointment would it be worth you sleeping on a camp bed in his room rather than have him back in your room?

If you still want to try 'DIY' what about an intercom in his room so he can talk to you for reassurance from his bed rather than getting up?

Probably rather expensive but could you have a burglar alarm fitted to give him greater reassurance?

Do you have any relatives/good friends you could go to stay with during the school holidays? Maybe he would be better in a different house & once he can manage it there he might have more confidence at home?

Please do let us all know how you get on - need a graphic for sending 'hugs'!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I do really feel for you and have had problem's with our youngest son not sleeping. At the time he was only 1 1/2 BUT he'd never had one night's sleep, waking in agony to rip away at his skin and would only sleep upright in a chair leaning on our chest. He also has heart disease and wasn't getting any rest on his heart. A hospice nurse went straight to our doctor's and got him some vallergan(alliememazine) which I researched alot and it has no long term side affect's so we gave him it. We could all finally get some rest and you may find that giving him some of this sedative will help get him into the routine of sleeping through and then slowly reduce the meds until he no longer need's it because his mind will have got back into a normal pattern.
Guest321

Post by Guest321 »

Thank you all SO much for your responses.

We do have a security alarm in our house now. Unfortunately, DS set it off at 1am this Sunday night with his habit of "lets go to see mum downstairs" - in this instance i think he was sleep walking. However, the next day I tried to turn that into a positive to reassure him that due to the alarm (and very loud noise) there is no way a burglar could come into the house now. So he seems more reassured now.

Last night was different as a result I think: he still didn't go to sleep straight away - but equally he did not cry and though he walked about and put on some music and possibly only properly slept at around midnight - it was a MASSIVE improvement to the previous weeks.

I do agree with the GP and liked the thought of 3 days of medication and then settled sleep.

We have a lot of excitement over the next few days with Easter. So my mini plan now is to see how we go for the next 1 week - hard stop next Tuesday. If things dont improve then definitely will go to the doctors. If they improve slowly but surely then I may wait to see.

I have such a phobia about going to the doctors about issues that are not strictly physical only related - due to some bad experiences in the past. However, if in 7 days the situation does not improve then I will definitely be at the doctors and will let you know how it is going.

Thank you so much again!
Guest321

Post by Guest321 »

Midget Man wrote: He also has heart disease and wasn't getting any rest on his heart. A hospice nurse went straight to our doctor's and got him some vallergan(alliememazine) which I researched alot and it has no long term side affect's so we gave him it. We could all finally get some rest and you may find that giving him some of this sedative will help get him into the routine of sleeping through and then slowly reduce the meds until he no longer need's it because his mind will have got back into a normal pattern.
So sorry to hear about your son and thanks for sharing. Is he ok now? Thanks for the name. When i go to see the doctor I will definitely mention the name now.
northernsoul

Post by northernsoul »

Really sorry to hear your story and your DS has my utmost sympathy. I know how it feels.
My elderly father even now sleeps with a panga (machete) under the bed, having spent most of his life in Africa, and experienced countless horrors.
Not suggesting you provide one for your DS but perhaps it would be helpful to:
1. discuss security (changes you've made etc) and what everyone should do in the event of a repeat (heaven forbid). Bit like having a fire drill. That would hopefully take away some of the feelings of powerlessness. I would suggest he has a mobile phone by his bed so he knows he can always dial 999. A personal alarm maybe. A pepper spray even.
2. let him take up karate to give him the experience of physical confrontation which will again help with feelings of powerlessness. i would recommend a traditional form such as shotokan rather than the more sporty, competition based types.
3. keep a baby monitor on so that he can hear your voices if you are downstairs. (you'll have to watch your language though! :D )

I'll post again if I can think of anymore.
I am not suggesting you try to turn him into Rambo :wink: but just empower him.
Guest321

Post by Guest321 »

Some great ideas!
I did take him to observe a "Taikonda" (Spelling?) class but he is not very sporty and was put off by the level of fitness required (we had a long chat but he wasn't convinced). I will check out shotokan - never heard of it before.

The mobile phone and baby monitor (also suggested by KB) sound like good ideas. I may order them second hand from Amazon - as they can be pricey.

Please keep the ideas coming. I am loving it and making notes.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

I totally agree with what other posters have suggested, but here's one more rather extreme idea - have you thought of getting a dog? When I was a teenager I used to lie awake at night petrified that there was someone in the house who shouldn't be because I could hear floor boards creaking. In the cold light of day I knew it was just the cranky old central heating making strange noises. I never got out of bed as I was too frightened to move. As soon as my parents got a dog, my fears stopped. (That wasn't why they got a dog and they didn't know I was scared.) My reasoning was that any unusual noises in the night I would subconciously blame on the dog and if someone did break in, the dog would at least bark, and hopefully bite!

Just a thought! If a dog is a possibility it might give your DS some peace of mind to know that someone is 'on guard' at night.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi again Guest321, apologies I should have mentioned the name in case you were interested. Now please forgive me if I have this wrong, but if memory serves me right, the name that was given before (vallergan) by Midget Man is totally correct for a younger child but my DS was given Phenergan (spelling by memory so hope right :? ) which is for older children.
Sorry no offense meant whatsoever to Midget Man & sincerely hope your son is much better now. As MM also mentioned, I agree & remember it being very harmless as essentially both of these medicines are just a strong antihistamine with drowsy side effects, hense the help with sleep.
Lots of great ideas on here to use alongside or instead of the medicine perhaps but best of luck with whichever route you choose!!
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Hi Guest321
Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope you make some progress over the next couple of weeks. Haven't any more advice to add other than you could try asking on Freecycle for a baby monitor then it would be free and keep the cost down (you have to offer something first).
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Big hug
Mrs Chubbs
Ally

Post by Ally »

Phenergan or (Promethazine Hyrochloride) has been around for many years. You can get it in liquid or tablet form. You can get it over the counter without prescription, but due to your sons sleeping patterns it'll be best to talk to a doctor.

Phenergan can be used for allergic conditions such as hay fever, rashes etc. or travel sickness and short term sedation.

After trying numerous travel sickness pills, the pharmacist recommended this, we have found half the recommended dose is perfect for my son travel sickness. Also as a child I took Phenergan daily for hayfever etc for over 10 years.

Good luck and Best Wishes

Ally
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now