Maths for a year 1 child

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tracy

Post by Tracy »

We had probs in yr1. We hoped things would get better. They didn't. DD lost the confidence that she had entered the school with. Yr 2 was worse.
KS1 sats results dreadful. Promised yr 3 would improve; it didn't. By Nov in yr 4 we started with a private tutor to try to catch up. Whole yr 4 class was a shambles. Thought long and hard about an indie, decided we couldn't afford it. Now dd can't wait to leave yr6 and we wish we had gone for that indie. That primary school has a lot to answer for.
If you have the slightest doubts go and see the teachers and make sure they answer all of your questions. Don't listen to empty promises.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i totally agree with tracy. I found out at the beginning of year 5 that my dd had not improved in her maths since the middle of year 3! I had asked about it but was told she would be ok! Luckyly her year 5 teacher was brilliant and worked with me to get her back on track, she didnt mind my questions and i actually think she was glad i was interested in my childs education. My dd had holes in her knowledge which prevented her from progressing. Once these were addresed her maths improved rapidly, she is in year 6 now and working at a level 5.
My advice would be to address any concerns as soon as they happen., be a friendly but concerned mother - every year - after all if a child does well it is good for the school too.
Good luck :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi everyone.
I have been away and this thread has grown.Thanks for all your replies.I will try to find the right way to say something.
I suppose my angle is that the school isn't doing anything "wrong".After all, they are teaching to the year 1 objectives/targets.I am just used to a school with the other two that looked to the children first and mapped the planning accordingly.So if your child was capable of more, they planned that for them.
I have a very close friend who is a reception teacher of 18 years and she doesn't introduce home reading books to her class until nearly the whole class is ready to read.In her catchment that is end of term two ish.We "debated" this once and I said what about the children who are ready to read in Sept? Her view is that they are not going to "lose" anything by waiting 2 terms.She believes they will reach their natural ability point with reading, be it in Sept or April.
It is a herding mentality not laziness on her part and I suspect that my daughter's teacher takes a similar view."We will move on when most of them are ready to".I don't agree with this approach but some schools seem to take it.
Anyway..thanks for all your replies.. :D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now