Girls shoulder bags for school-help!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Dear Romanlover98,

I think everyone is giving you an optimistic view on the bag purchasing saga and lulling you into a false sense of security. This has to be the most traumatic, miserable and expensive issue of starting secondary school.

I would resign yourself to ongoing bag misery.

Oh come on - I can't be the only one? :shock: :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It's a girl thing.
I buy DS's rucksacks for him, when it wears out I buy another.
DD ... well that is another story

PS do try to encourage backpacks, much better for hiking up hills. (for those of you have have never been, Skipton is HILLY)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh yes, wonderful Skipton the gateway to the Dales. How did I end up down here?

Damart underwear - strangely I never felt cold during my northern youth but standing in cold playgrounds in the south-east recently has made me dream of Damart long-johns.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LOL - Damart shop is quite nearby .. in Bingley.

This weekend is the Skipton Waterways Festival.. now how you may ask in this hilly town did they ever find anywhere to put to put some flat water ??

mind you sometimes I reckon we could hold the olympic windsurfing along the canal - gets quite choppy in the breeze
Amber

Post by Amber »

Most girls at DD's school have been through the Cath Kidston (am I allowed to say that?) phase and out the other side when they realised how impractical they were for holding more than a few sheets of A4. DD has a rucksack (Roxy or Animal I think) and while she started out as one of the first with it, now loads of them do as they are strong and better for their backs, while also being trendy. If you can steer her towards a rucksack, you and she will be better off, just make it a trendy one!
This would really help me and stop my DD moaning.
Hmm..just noticed this. It won't, believe me. There are shoes yet, and hairstyles...earrings (or not)...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

master yoyo has an Animal rucksack , which holds A4 files (the others tend to bend books and papers, we bought it in year 8 he is now in year 12 and it is tatty but still going strong
hyder

Post by hyder »

In my experience girls change their bags as often as their hairstyles, my daughter's latest bag comes from Primark, her choice and her money!! No I don't think it will last long but hopefully long enough until the fashion changes. At £6 it hasn't been a bad buy. The lastest style seems to be an very large handbag that will fit A4 folders in.

Good Luck with the shopping.
mad?

Post by mad? »

hyder wrote:In my experience girls change their bags as often as their hairstyles, my daughter's latest bag comes from Primark, her choice and her money!! No I don't think it will last long but hopefully long enough until the fashion changes. At £6 it hasn't been a bad buy. The lastest style seems to be an very large handbag that will fit A4 folders in.

Good Luck with the shopping.
Ditto...and it has just come home with a burst innocent smoothie smeared all over its inside...which on furhter inspection ('I couldn't clean it up it looked like sick') :evil: also contained three uneaten sandwiches and 4 (YES 4) :evil: mouldy apples about to walk out of it on their own accord. Bag is now in the bin, thankfully it cost a pittance, her pittance!
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

('I couldn't clean it up it looked like sick') also contained three uneaten sandwiches and 4 (YES 4) mouldy apples about to walk out of it on their own accord.
:lol:

So, so familiar. And the blazer pockets too? Empty packets of stuff she denies having eaten, crumbs, 'bits'; Sometimes I find a letter from the school which I am meant to sign and it looks as though it has been in there for weeks, covered in goodness knows what, torn, dog-eared - I wonder what the teachers must think.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

hermanmunster - I do enjoy yr posts. Lived for yrs nr skipton, moved south before the first did the 11+. Now am thinking of the moors.

Re bags I am with Hyder - primark is cheap and considering the constant need to replace the bag with something smaller cheapness is important.

Dc2 is aware that bags must be small - and as she is mostly unaware of the need to complete any homework tasks I suspect the smallness of her bag as she enters secondary school next year will not concern her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now