Girls shoulder bags for school-help!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Post by doodles »

Are boys easier - please let them be! We are about to embark on a whole new world where there is no regulation coat and the bag doesn't have to be a regulation one purchased from school - I am dreading it. Please please tell me that DS1 won't be like me :lol:

No seriously what do people suggest for boys I would be grateful for sensible suggestions (ie reasonably priced but won't fall apart in a week) for a boy who thinks he has to carry his life in his bag. Also do boys take wallets or is that really naff?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KB

Post by KB »

My DS hasd a wallet - but he doesn't specially care about being 'naff' :)

Either rucksacks or messenger bags - the former seem more popular with the younger boys & are more suitable whrn they have lots to carry.

Try to get one where the shoulder straps come out together rather than apart so the weight is pulling on a wider area at the top.

Most sports brands seem acceptable - but as I say my DS isn't fussed about being a leader of fashion! We did change his bag from a rather dull unbranded one though because he was getting ' stick' & he decided he'd rather have something that didn't draw attention.

You can try putting a small rucksack liner in it to save the mess wrecking the inner lining of the bag. We also have a waterproof cover tucked inside in case he gets caught in downpoor bt I 'm not convinced it gets used! Can also put books in thin plastic folders to protect from wet weather/ leaks & it keeps same subject books together.

Coats tend to get thrown on the floor, mislaid etc so would go for a ceap one that won't cause too many tears & tantrums when it gets lost/damaged. Def. best if it is washable :)

Take heart - in my experience boys are much easier than girls, mostly due to less peer pressure I think. DD wasn't that fussed about such things but she took so much stick about a certain item we had a late night shopping trip to 'upgrade' before she could face going back to school the next day.
SSM

Post by SSM »

My youngest has to 'have' the right stuff, he has a Jeep rucksack that we purchased from the school outfitters, has a number of compartments so comes in handy for the muddy rugby kit.

He also has a wallet, though I don't think it necessary but he insisted. Mine have lockers at school, but because they have to dash out of school to catch the train, don't have time to use them. When I lift their rucksacks up, it does worry me that they are lugging that weight around to and from school, so would definitely suggest a rucksack.
zorro

Post by zorro »

If my DS is anything to go by, boys are definitely not easier doodles!!
Rucksacks are out of the question - not cool enough. Messenger bags are the thing, Hollister, A&F, Converse are acceptable!
Agree about the coat, it will probably get lost anyway, so make it cheap!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I reckon I could go into business making a trendy but tough rucksack with waterproof compartments. Trouble is if the parents like then the kids probably won't!

DS had a great jeep bag for year - blue and black, much easier to find amongst the heap of black rucksacks outside the refec etc
Amber

Post by Amber »

Re Primark: you have to remember that teenagers often have a very well-developed sense of social conscience. My DD refuses to go into anywhere she thinks might have exploited anyone - so Primark is out on account of child labour. I also wouldn't go there, but her sense of injustice definitely came first.

And you thought it was just a bag!

I suppose I should say that I have no evidence that Primark does indeed use child labour.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

to quote my nieces...'Boys are the new Girls'..

Master Yoyo spends ages in front of the mirror
Milla

Post by Milla »

instead of a wallet my boy uses a phone case, a quite groovy Golla one - obviously his phone is not in the phone case, his phone is in his pocket so he can be aware of each and every dull little LOL-led text vibrating in. In his phone case goes his bus pass, dosh, key etc.
Having bought him a (I thought) rather nice Animal backpack, I notice that that is now tossed aside in their sitting room (not as grand as it sounds) and he is using a rather odd old black thing of mine.
Do not understand 13 year old boys at all. :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Do not understand 13 year old boys at all.
in years to come , you will look back and think...............

and I thought they were wierd THEN?"
doodles

Post by doodles »

You were all supposed to make me feel better :lol: :lol: and pleased that I had boys......

No, thanks for the tips - it's def a rucksack and a cheap coat. He is not label conscious apart from when it comes to his glasses of all things and then we have to go seriously cool and, unfortunately, seriously expensive - but he is indulged here as it will never improve or be able to have laser surgery or really wear contacts so.........
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now