musings on Swingometers and slide rules

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

musings on Swingometers and slide rules

Post by hermanmunster »

ho ho remembering as I do the days of the 1964 election and banks of analysts sitting there ready with their slide rules.... I have been having fun with the widgets on the Beeb site

Yesterdays polls give C 34% Lab 28% Lib 28% Oth Bar

The seats they get for this are:

C 269
L 268
Lib 84
Other 29.

Interesting that you can get 6% diff in vote and almost same seats or the same percent of votes and 3 times the seats...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It goes all over my head! :oops:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I too find it strange, its funny how labour can be last and yet still have a chance, but how close is it to the real thing? We'll have to wait till Thurs night/Fri morning to find out :shock: Like to stay up to watch it all happen, but have to work on Friday, so not sure I will be able to :cry:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm working all thursday night so for once will have to stay up - quite looking forward to it.

Assume the swingometer must be adjusted for the quirks of constiuencies as otherwise it would be a straight 34:28:28:bar split
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Was thinking of being really sad and thought of letting DS board on Thursday so I could stay up all night but then I forgot my other son had is 4 day Exeat and I have to drive 140+ miles early on Friday morning. Darn children! :roll: :wink:
Looking for help

Yes and I think boundary changes since previous elections have had an impact because by the looks of it we'd have had a few hung parliaments in recent times had they been like this previously.

Errrm, Herm, though if you're working night shift, you may not be able to see too much ? :lol:
Looking for help

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Was thinking of being really sad and thought of letting DS board on Thursday so I could stay up all night but then I forgot my other son had is 4 day Exeat and I have to drive 140+ miles early on Friday morning. Darn children! :roll: :wink:
Oh, shame :cry: , can't he get the train ? :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking for help wrote:Yes and I think boundary changes since previous elections have had an impact because by the looks of it we'd have had a few hung parliaments in recent times had they been like this previously.

Errrm, Herm, though if you're working night shift, you may not be able to see too much ? :lol:
Fortunately the night shift tends to calm down after 0100 and it will be much more interesting than the usual night time telly / internet browsing / or learned book I usually try and read :roll: .

Some constituencies are fascinating eg Skipton and Ripon have absolutely nothing to do with each other - (they are about 30 miles apart ) part dfrom having the only GSs in North Yorks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

excuse me while I drag over this soapbox and prepare my proportional representation rant
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was surprised to find the other week that in my beloved sink estate I grew up in, 6% vote Tories - bear in mind this is Scotland. Where were you guys when I needed you most in my formative years...we could have been soul mates...and I may have stayed! :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now