year 7 end of year tests

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sally40

year 7 end of year tests

Post by sally40 »

Hi all my ds has just informed me that he has end of year exams starting in june. Will this be in all subjects and can anyone offer any advice as to the best way to revise and also motivating him. :roll:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi!

There is something along these lines in 'Beyond 11 Plus - General' and the subject is entitled 'Year 7 Revision'.

No, it's not; it's called 'Exam Revision'.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks for that- we will have this facing us soonish.My year 7 was at a primary school that didn't even do spelling tests, so large amounts of information to retain, will need some encouragement.
:?
Milla

Post by Milla »

ours were a bit of a shock. DS1 had NO idea how to revise, what it was, etc - I had banged on about the importance of reading over his notes each day to stand a chance of getting a head start on the revision. Did he? Don't be silly. He didn't do very well, but I think that that applied for most of them - there's always a hard core of sensible achievers.
In Y8 they ran a revision day, quite what effect this will have on my happy go lucky lazy bones will be interesting to see.
it's very easy to get despondent (been there, done that etc) but keeping in touch with the school on an ad hoc basis has cheered me up. ie that he is doing a lot better than the dishevelled state of his books / chaotic see-sawing of marks was leaving me to assess.
ours have them over one week in June and they're quite formal, I think. Art was our shocker - there was a component to do at home and hand in ON TIME which constituted 75% of the marks. Guess who was late. Guess who, therefore only got 19% :cry:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think the thing that shocks me is that for 6 years I went through a system that required lots of memorising of facts. Twice a year we would have exams and reports that stated our % in each subject, plus an average % for the exams, all of which gave you a position within your class. (Admittedly, this was in the country I now refer to as 'Asia'.)

When I returned to Britain I still had to memorise stuff otherwise I would have failed. I remember recently explaining to a class how I'd prepared myself long-term for French revision. The teacher's response was, "Did you have any friends?" :cry: (I work as a TA now.) I do wonder how pupils get through these tests without revision.
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS also has formal end of year exams immediately after the half term break.He seems to think that it's ok to leave his revision until half term!! We pointed out gently that it would be better to do half an hour's revision every day from now on, but he 's not convinced.
Don't the school give them a revision guide? DS gets this before the exams and for each subject tells them what to revise which is really helpful.
Get him to do a timetable too, telling him which subjects to cover on a given day to make sure they cover all subjects. Also concentrate more on their weakest subjects.
tense

Post by tense »

My DD (Yr eight) has her exams before half term- I wish they were after as they suddenly seem very close!

I provide her with folders / paper / post it notes etc & encourage her to make list of the topics she needs to revise in each subject (school provides this in many cases) so it doesn't seem overwhelming. Last year I suggested she made revison notes but she preferred to just "read" over stuff. I'm trying to encourage her to make notes again this year & I think she has a little.

But I do try & stand back & not nag or get involved too much. It's a learning curve for them. That said, I am particularly worried about the sciences as, unless she retains her place in the top group, she won't be eligible to do triple science (not that she's particularly that way inclined, I just hate to see doors closing when they're so young).