For those that don't want to vote

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

For those that don't want to vote

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

At least vote for the Green Party. Even if they don't win any seats it spurs them on to continue their tireless work if they feel some people believe in them.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

For those who dont want to vote you should be ashamed of yourselves!
I have some Cuban friends who have just been given British nationality (after living here for 6 years) and they are very excited to be able to vote in DEMOCRATIC elections for the first time in their lives, they are like children in a sweet shop wondering who to vote for, we should all appreciate our democratic right to vote and use it. Imagine what life would be like without it.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

No, people who don't want to vote should NOT be ashamed of themselves.

They have the democratic right NOT to vote - if they voted on your (or anyone else's) say so it wouldn't then be a free and democratic vote now would it!

If you want to vote, then vote.

If you don't want to vote then don't vote.

But please, don't be bullied into voting, or who to vote for!

Imagine what it would be like being told you HAD to vote - we'll be being told WHO to vote for next!
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

Snowdrops wrote:Imagine what it would be like being told you HAD to vote -told WHO to
I think compulsory voting is a good idea. It works in Australia and you are brought up that it is your right to vote. Here you seem to be brought up not to bother as you get everything you want whether or not you vote or even work.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

..... or possibly none of the main parties are worth voting for so you never get anything you want or feel is needed for the country ultimately!

was actually tempted to go green myself this year for that very reason Tipsy.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I agree with snowdrops - it is your right not to vote - if you choose not to then you have to live with the decisions of those that have voted
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

unfortunately you have to live with the decisions of the majority party not necessarily those who have voted. Cats12 :roll:
KB

Post by KB »

Do the Australians have a 'none of the above' option - or are there lots of spoiled ballot papers?

I can sort of see that there in merit in encouraging those who simply cant be bothered to make the effort but I'd be uncomfortable with having to vote for the 'least bad' candidate when I didn't want to show my support for any of them.

We also live in a 'safe seat' so there is a feeling that my vote wont make a difference - but if you have a candidate that you do support they might value your vote even if they don't have a chance of being elected. We have heard alot about MPs expenses etc but there are still candidates who put themselves forward for the 'right' reasons and would be encouraged to know that there are others who share their views and (in some cases) passion for what they believe in.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

We also live in a 'safe seat' so there is a feeling that my vote wont make a difference - but if you have a candidate that you do support they might value your vote even if they don't have a chance of being elected. We have heard alot about MPs expenses etc but there are still candidates who put themselves forward for the 'right' reasons and would be encouraged to know that there are others who share their views and (in some cases) passion for what they believe in.
This was my point. I'm not telling people to vote. If the reason is they can't be bothered getting off their butt to go to the polling station then fine but if it because they want to make a point, well not voting won't get that point made. At least vote Green as they do so much for such little reward and are not bent. Of course if you don't care about the environment then don't vote Green! :wink:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I'm all for doing our bit on the environment Tipsy - I really think the demise of the plastic carrier bag has been wonderful, the effect on the countryside already is astounding (no more dirty, torn bags blowing in the wind whilst wrapped around trees/bushes for the animals to munch on!) - but have you seen the Green party's policies on taxes :shock: :shock: I was listening to a lady last week telling us all what they'd do - very scary :cry:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now