Good second instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Posey

Good second Instrument

Post by Posey »

Ourmaninhavana,
Great you've found the scheme from the county council. I believe an earlier poster may have indicated that some music shops (particularly the larger ones) may have "taster" days for children who aren't sure. May also be worth contacting the Royal College of Music to find out if there's anything they offer in that department. I'm not musical but I do love to listen the the DC learning and playing and the satisfaction they get from achieving something they enjoy so much.
DD is in the JS jazz band, 2 orchestras, recorder group and will be going into seniors this september and has already been told that she has a place in the swing band. Other girls in the jazz group play flute, clarinet, bass guitar, cello, trumpet. Orchestras are: Violin's, Oboe, and the above. Both include saxophones.

Marylou,
Wow Electric Violin - sounds fun. Good luck with the Banjo!!!

8) 8) :P
moved

Post by moved »

I would second going with what they want to play. DD had disastrous piano lessons and declared herself to be not musical. Just over a year ago she was taken by the flute. I got a good quality flute for the price of a cheap one on ebay and she absolutely loves it. Like most beginners it was a bit shrieky at the beginning and the dog does howl on the very high notes, but mostly it is lovely to see her joy in playing her instrument.

DS was given a violin when he was little, but his passion has always been the piano, so I have to nag for the violin. Both children now play in an orchestra and an ensemble, which gives them a great deal of pleasure.

What is it about all of us middle aged women and the sax? Nearly everyone I know either wants to learn or is having lessons.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Just me with a quick update: received a lovely email from the Lincs Music Sevice today (yes, Sunday!) to say that currently all musical instruments are loaned free of charge as long as the tuition is provided by the Lincs M S which hopefully the school uses?

Now just wondering if he'd be needed in groups much if he plumps for the cornet? Hoping to borrow one from somewhere first just to see if he likes it, before committing ourselves.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: There are always clarinet groups in schools.
Hollow laughter

Not where I live, Tipsy.
Gman

Post by Gman »

It is great that your music service provides foc instruments. They are likely to have a number of ensembles and orchestras. The coronet will be a member of the brass group and the orchestra.

It is also worth looking at potential high schools as many have multiple music groups.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Gman wrote:They are likely to have a number of ensembles and orchestras. The coronet will be a member of the brass group and the orchestra.
Strictly speaking, the cornet is not an orchestral instrument but is mainly used in the traditional brass band. The orchestral equivalent is the trumpet - it came as quite a surprise to me to learn that brass bands don't actually have any trumpets! :shock: :lol: I'm not sure how far the two instruments are interchangeable, i.e. if you can play one you can play the other. The difference is explained here: http://www.paythepiper.co.uk/trumpet.asp The trumpet might be slightly more flexible since it can also be played in jazz ensembles, so if choosing between the two the musical genres in which the instruments are used might help the decision. Similarly, tenor/baritone horn = brass band, French horn = orchestra. Trombones, tubas - both types of ensemble.
Marylou
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Marylou, that's what I thought from my quick Google, but he seems to prefer the tone to the trumpet which seems more flexible. Next task to try and borrow one to see what he thinks then :)
KB

Post by KB »

DC went from cornet to trumpet pretty easily when in primary school so if he finds one or the other provides entry to the ensemble he is interested in I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to swop.
ebf3

brass

Post by ebf3 »

Hello - I'm always glad to hear about children starting brass instruments. I can confirm it doesn't matter whether you start on cornet or trumpet. Fingerings are the same. We sometimes recommend that smaller children start on the cornet for the simple reason that the more compact shape can be less tiring to balance with small hands.

Handily, you start with one of these, you can also swap fairly easily onto alto/tenor horn, euphonium or tuba if you struggle with the higher notes (just opt to play from treble clef and the fingerings are still the same).
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I'm in a similar position. My DD is just about to take her grade 1 in piano and wants to start a new instrument. She's keen on the flute but even though she's ten she has very small hands (and feet - size 1!) for her age and I wonder if she'd be able to handle something like a flute.

(Or do they make small ones?!)