Cambo's speech

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

sherry_d wrote:Is it the same speech I watched? All I saw was a man begging to stay in power trying to form a coalation. But then again I dont see any sense in anything he say anymore. Kind of feels like he is just squatting at 10 Downing clinging on life support :roll:
I am too tired to be too argumentative but seem to remember such phrases as "totally understand and respect the right of Nick clegg to form the govt with the conservatives", "they need to be given all the time they need etc" only "if these talks should fail" will "talk to any party" to seek secure Government.
Maybe we all filter speeches to match out prejudices.Me too I am sure but they were direct quotes (just double checked)
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Flamenco - that has to be a whole 2 posts without mention of Eton :lol:

Seems to me you're the one who can't get this School off your mind, CM. :lol:
Are you saving them up for us?
The record speaks for itself. But you'd soon hear lots more from all sources. :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Unsuprisingly...I agree with Sally Anne and Herman.GB genuinely reflecting the vote of the nation, not for labour but not decisively for anyone and not seeking personal interest but the stability of the nation, whilst this matter is decided.
As you said SA ...truly statesmanlike
Ok, so some of you have clearly not had enough sleep then. GB does not reflect the vote as 16 miliion voted against him. And I felt he was acting like a PM by almost giving NC the permission to speak to DC as if it was his decision to make. Had GB ever thought of the country and not himself he would have called an election when he came into power. In my mind he is the most power crazy politician of them all.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Many times have in the past I have quoted the "but x million DIDN'T vote for them..." , can be turned round whichever way you like.

Twas ever thus

Show me an election (since universal suffrage) here where someone has genuinely had a majority of the popular vote.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

...well there was one 1930 - first time men and women were allowed to vote on equal terms

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

your are wise beyond your (considerable number of ) years Herman.....

:wink:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Reflecting the vote of the nation (not having it) in saying the Tories should seek to form the first Govt and holding back from running to the Lib dems.Hardly power crazy.And actually he could have unofficially sought out a pact first, they have more in common.
Herman is absolutely right re how many voted aginst them.Could be said about every one ever elected under our system and after all David cameron only got a third of the vote.(After 13 years in opposition)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Chelmsford mum wrote: he could have unofficially sought out a pact first,

Only if he wanted to appear even more stupid than he already does after Bigotgate - Nick Clegg had already declared BEFORE Gordon Brown's speech that he was willing to speak with the Conservatives, thereby letting Labour know it was a no-go between them (perhaps unless no agreement was reached between Tories/LibDem and THEN NC might be open to other discussions?? who knows!!).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Maybe we all filter speeches to match out prejudices.
Very true. I dislike GB and am not much fonder of DC, but did think the latter acted and came across like a leader, and he is probably the one out of the 2 who has the greater right to claim that mantle.

I am just glad all the great and the good were advised to get some sleep last night - I know what I am like when sleep-deprived, and it is scary to think of all the big decisions being taken by these chaps who hadn't been to bed for 3 nights. Most of them can't say anything sensible when they are relaxed and rested, let alone when they are high on adrenalin and low on sleep.

Goodness help us all, whatever happens, I say. And spare a thought for the poor old Queen, who has to try and keep a straight face whichever parade of jesters troops in next week to see her.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Snowdrops wrote:
Chelmsford mum wrote: he could have unofficially sought out a pact first,

Only if he wanted to appear even more stupid than he already does after Bigotgate - Nick Clegg had already declared BEFORE Gordon Brown's speech that he was willing to speak with the Conservatives, thereby letting Labour know it was a no-go between them (perhaps unless no agreement was reached between Tories/LibDem and THEN NC might be open to other discussions?? who knows!!).
"Bigotgate" :roll: Come on ...it's hardly along the lines of Watergate.I thought , considering he thought he was talking privately, "bigot" was restrained of him.
I am not sure this is really a productive discussion when an aside becomes a "gate" and leaders are getting called "stupid". None of the leaders are that and doesn't really further the discussion. I shall duck out of this thread now - off to shop in the rain. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now