Poll! George Osborne for chancellor or what?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

George Osborne for chancellor...

Yes
20%
No
15%
Of course, he's born to it!
No votes
George Osborne? Have you gone stark raving mad?!
65%

Total votes: 40

Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Trying hard to be positive about George Osborne, I have remembered that he is maybe a tad wiser than his predecessor , Oliver Letwin, who famously said that he would "rather beg in the street" than send his children to a comprehensive school.Very tactful when you consider that is what most people have to do.
So George is perhaps an improvement.... :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Misquote CM, he said,

"inner city comprehensive school" and frankly a lot of people of all political persuasions agree with that.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Oh well - that's makes all the difference then. :!: He, a future Govt Minister, would rather "beg in the street" than send his child to a comprehensive in a city. Well that's really all fine then. :P

I have taught in inner city comprehensives and they vary. believe it or not. There are some excellent ones as well as some that clearly aren't.Huge generalisiation that he should have known better about.
Come on Tipsy.Be reasonable. A potential government minister making a public statement of that kind...not very wise.
And you should be pleased, I was trying to say something vaguely positive about George Osborne.At least he would be savvy enough not to have said that.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Letwin is a twit, of course he shouldn't have said that but I was protecting you from a libel suit! :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

By the way probably getting off topic - sorry everyone. Don't want to spark another different debate.... :oops:
Back to George, apparently "marmite", Osborne.....
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Letwin is a twit, of course he shouldn't have said that but I was protecting you from a libel suit! :lol:
Why does he post on here.... :shock:
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Post deleted by Flamenco
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

[quote="Flamenco"]
But let’s be absolutely honest about this, hand on heart, how many people would send their DC to an inner city comprehensive school rather than a fee-paying school (which is what I assume Oliver Letwin implied when he talked about begging in the street)?
[quote]

When you are a potential Government Minister, it is a tactless and insensitive thing to say. Why not "we need to work towards raising standards where they are not acceptable " etc.For those of us blessed enough to have choice, we should exercise a little humility before spouting off to those who don't.
Anyway as I said, I have unwittingly led us astray and off topic. :oops:

I noticed the vote that said George Osborne was "born to be" Chancellor has disappeared.Poor George :wink: maybe you should cast that one for him Flamenco... :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

CM,
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:CM,
Yes... :D...........................................................................................

Have you passed out exhausted from exasperation with me.....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now