The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Post by mad? »

Chelmsford mum wrote:O.K nearly didn't comment and now am going to and risk the onslaught!
I have a particular (Christian) view of the place/purpose of s- e- x.
However I do not take for granted that my children will share that view as they approach adulthood.Whatever they hear in school, should not be, in my opinion, the first they hear.Parents should have already put it in the moral context they feel is appropriate.The rest is up to them as they get older, and we will love them , regardless of the choices they may make.
All you can do is prepare them for the talk in the context of your family values and inform them of the medical implications and ...one day, they will make their own choices and we must love them and support them.
Talk to them about your values and love them whatever they decide. :D
I have a particular (unChristian) view as well, exactly as you have described CM :lol:
Sherry_d wrote:It also seems interacial
Er...and? :shock: :shock:
mad?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I can't see why it being inter-racial should be a problem.

In fact i think it is offensive that anyone should think was cause for concern
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I can't understand why inter-racial is even being discussed.

DD had this 'talk' in school during year 6. Like CM I think it's important to instil your values on your children before they get to this point in their lives. It proved well founded when there were one or two things my DD found to discuss with me afterwards (can't remember what now, but it was to do with values). WE have always had an open and frank relationship (too frank at times :shock: ) she has no inhibitions and even daddy is asked and told intimate details :lol: :lol: :lol: We find PCSHE and Biology (or whatever it's called :roll: ) covers this subject in greater detail in year 7 (and beyond probably).

You are never going to protect your child from hearing things you don't want them to hear. It's amazing what youngsters know (or 'think' they know) and how willing they are to share it with each other :lol: You really, really need to talk to your children and brainwash them first (that was a joke by the way!!). :D
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

My Son's school showed the videos last year, and while some of the words are surprising and not ones I would have used when explaining things they are words that are commonly used and which our children may unfortunately hear at some point. I seem to remember the video puts it over in a "you may hear this word and it refers to ........" way.

As parents we were invited in to watch and the majority of us were surprised by some of the content but overall found that it would be imformative to the children and that the over riding message was one of your body will be going through these changes and why it goes through them explaing that all adults will have gone through it too so any concerns could be discussed with whoever the child felt comfortable with, be it parent, grandparent, older sibling, teacher etc. It was one thing everyone has in common. I did not think the emphasis was on s-e-x itself or suggesting the children should be participating in s-e-x-u-a-l activiities but more in ensuring the children were prepared for new feelings they may encounter with the emphasis being on that it is normal and to try and take away the fear that these new feelings can bring.

As parents we do want to protect our children from the adult world but we also have an duty to prepare them for it and although as stated I would not have used some of the language in the context it was used I dont feel unhappy with the way my child was exposed to it. I did think the film and the school backup/support did a good job.

In my opinion there has not been any problem with the children using inapropriate language or behaviour afterwards. The result has been to inform the children of what will be happening to them and their friends over the coming months/years and that there are plenty of people to talk to regarding any concerns they may have.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Snowdrops wrote:I can't understand why inter-racial is even being discussed.

You are never going to protect your child from hearing things you don't want them to hear. It's amazing what youngsters know (or 'think' they know) and how willing they are to share it with each other :lol: :D

Exactly - kids share all sorts of new information with each other. After my dd asked what a coil was we had a discussion (not age appropriate but dd appropriate - if you know what i mean) about contraception and she was happy with it - 4 weeks later she had forgotten the bulk of it but told me that was ok as her best friend had filled in the bits she had forgotten!

Occasionally she will ask me what a "slang" word means - she may have heard it at the park or at school - I always explain as best i can what it means and why you should NOT use it. If i dont tell her about these things someone else will - and maybe not in the way i would have wanted her to know. We as parents should get in first! :)
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Do you think it is best for dads to talk to sons and mums to talk to daughters?

DS is in Year 6 and i am getting convinced that we should talk to him about this topic. But what do you think? Dad or Mum?
marigold

Post by marigold »

My son is also in year 6 and I will definitely be suggesting that his father is the one he needs to go to with such questions.

Unfortunately my husband is even more squeamish than me so I will also suggest a couple of episodes of Eastenders for fine tuning.
I think it is important that they enter secondary school with a strong idea of what their own family values are and then they are well prepared for what ever diverse views and opinions they meet and have a safe base to refer to.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Sorry if anyone got offended by my reference to the interacial characters in the video. If you are someone of another race its something you really see I am afraid and always wonder what they are trying to potray. I am sure most of you wont get where I am coming from.

I have spoken to the school and I have decided she will stay out at this time. I will talk to her about s-e-x and stuff but the video is outside my comfort zone and my beliefs. That nailed things for me so she is out. I am aware that she may be the only one out but I have always told her that she needs not be scared for being different so I hope she will understand. Is it the right thing to do? I dont know but I strongly feel about the content of the video. It doesnt matter what else she hears or already knows but I have to put my foot down sometimes and let her know what mum thinks. Sound old fashioned, perhaps but I see no harm in it in sticking to what I believe is right for my child.

The posetive that has come out of all this is I will now talk to her about this subject which I hadnt dreamt would prop up this early and I hope to find my own resources that I think are more appropriate to help explain things to her before this class next term.
Impossible is Nothing.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

sherry_d wrote:Sorry if anyone got offended by my reference to the interacial characters in the video. If you are someone of another race its something you really see I am afraid and always wonder what they are trying to potray. I am sure most of you wont get where I am coming from.
I don't

Back to post - I have always preferred to be completely open about all 'birds and bees' matters, from a very young age. There is very little embarrasment and DC don't get second hand and inappropriate information. I too have often gone with the idea of fun, great between two people who love each other. Now some of my DC are older I am pleased to see they have waited and are happy to discuss (often in greater detail than I had imagined) their attitudes to and feelings about s-e-x. They are often quite critical of peers who have perhaps a less mature attitude. I want to ensure that they are knowledgeable and safe, I hope I've done that.
katel

Post by katel »

No, I am afraid that the "inter racial" angle suggests nothing but racism to me.

I am amazed that anyone would think that the content of this video would come as a surprise to a year 6 - what do you think they have been talking about in the playground for the past few years.

Sherry - PLEASE don't keep your daughter out - apart from anything else, she will get the most lurid version posible from her friends, who will all want to big up what they have seen. if you are secure in your values, she won't be damaged in any way by seeing it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now