Please...would welcome considered advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: Please...would welcome considered advice

Post by KS10 »

ews147, I believe someone else offered that advice but I am quite happy to take the credit for it. :D
ews147

Post by ews147 »

So it was KS10, you are officially' defrocked ' :lol: Ahem , apologies Sherbotelmum..
KS10

Post by KS10 »

ews147, you are as bad as I am. I have been misreading Sherbetlemon's name too.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would definitely advise working with the school, retain the moral high ground
ews147

Post by ews147 »

KS10 wrote:ews147, you are as bad as I am. I have been misreading Sherbetlemon's name too.
yes, I think that was why I gave you the praise in the first place - your username was much easier to remember!
Gman

Post by Gman »

Bullying is very serious. In many cases criminal. Left unchecked the victims suffer. Please contact the head, give them the information, and state that if this is not resolved you will involve the police.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Thinking of you and your DD. Hope the school is supportive and helpful in resolving the issue quickly. If you DD is happy/ friends with most of the girls in her form, then is it worth requesting that the girl and her sidekick move to different forms instead. This may be one way of implementing consequences for their actions, instead of moving your DD who hasn't done anything wrong.
PJ

Post by PJ »

I would talk to your daughter and follow her feelings on the issue. She is the one living in the school. If she doesn't want you to do anything then don't. But monitor the situation and keep the evidence.

My gut reaction would be to stop the bully before she hurts more people. I don't think the power and position of the bully's parents should be an issue. You seem to have ample evidence that the bully is systematically harassing your daughter.

I took a quick look at some of the sites. The advice on facebook seems to be as follows:

Someone may post something abusive or hurtful on your profile or about you on Facebook in a group or Fan page. It's important to know that this may be a crime called harassment if there are several postings and you should tell your parents or carer immediately so they can help you get it removed. If the incident is serious you may want to speak to the police with your parents or carer so they can help you get it resolved and more importantly stop it from happening in the future.

If you want to tell Facebook about abusive or nasty posts look for a REPORT option on each update, if it's a picture look for a REPORT option just under the photograph. Sadly it can take Facebook a while to remove material that is offensive. Keep reporting it and if you are not satisfied with the response consider involving the police.

http://www.cyberbullying.co.uk/index.ph ... afety.html

I also checked out the legal position for the School:

The school: if the incident involves a pupil, or pupils, at your child's school, then it is important to let the school know. All schools have a legal duty to have measures in place to support the person being bullied and to apply disciplinary sanctions to the pupil doing the bullying. Schools are increasingly updating these policies to include cyberbullying.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschoo ... ng/advice/

So I would echo views of others - gather the evidence - be sure of your legal and position and the school regulations on cyberbullying and then escalate within the School.
Amber

Post by Amber »

If she doesn't want you to do anything then don't.
Sorry to disagree PJ, but children will often try very hard to prevent parents from acting in the face of bullies because they are afraid of making matters worse. It can be really hard to override a child's wishes but I would say it is always right to act in situations like this; you can do it in such a way as to prevent attention being drawn to your daughter, or even without her knowledge. Your daughter needs to feel that you are in charge, not the bullies; and that you care enough to make it your top priority. I have been into 2 schools, once with regard to daughter and once son; in both cases they begged me not to 'make a fuss'. In both cases they were jolly glad I had!
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with Amber - this has clearly gone past the stage of 'teasing' & is now at a stage where adults need to take over.
Its not even really about whether your DD can cope with the bullying/wants your intervention but a responsibility to bring this to the attention of the authorities.
You have lot sof support here at least!