Where to stay in Wimbledon

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Where to stay in Wimbledon

Post by Amber »

I would have posted this on the regional board - if only I had known which region I was talking about. Does anyone know a nice hotel in Wimbledon or within about 20 minutes of it? I am going on a course/interview there soon and will need to spend the night there. I haven't decided whether to drive or take public transport, but would ideally like to know about parking. If mods don't like me doing this on the open forum (?) then maybe someone could pm me? My first concern is cleanliness and my second is quiet, and ideally I'd be able to get dinner there as I don't fancy wandering the streets alone looking for food. :?
surreymum

Re: Where to stay in Wimbledon

Post by surreymum »

Hi Amber
I'm just a few miles from Wimbledon. If you want to pm me with where you're going I might be able to help a bit more-don't specifically know any hotels but can help on areas it would be ok to stay in and travel. If we narrow down the area a bit more may be able to tap into some more local knowledge.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

I worked in Wimbeldon for about 15 years till recently and stayed down for about 2 nights a week so I know most of the hotels.

I depends where your course/interview is. There are 2 parts to Wimbledon; Wimbledon Village which is the leafy part up the hill near the Tennis, or Wimbledon Broadway which is the shopping area and near the Railway and Tube. There are not many hotels anyway but those near the former tend to be more expensive.

I used to stay at the Anntoinette on Wimbledon Broadway which has been recently refurbished and near lots of resaurants and the Wimbledon theatre. I used to pay about £70/night (discount corporate rate) but the published rate is higher. The hotel has a free car park.

Most of the other hotels on the Broadway tend to be more small B&B hotels.

Up in Wimbledon Village I have stayed at Cannizaro House on Wimbeldon Common and Richmond Hill Hotel. The latter is ok and the former is probably the top hotel in the Village but pricey. The former has a car park

The alternative is to stay either at the Travel Inn near Putney Bridge or one of the many hotels near Earls Court - the District Line from Earls Court only takes about 15-20 mins. Jurys Inn at Chelsea is a nice hotel and easily accessible for Wimbledon.

Whatever you do make sure you check the prices on Late Rooms, Late Minute.Com or Travelstay and in particular look at the reviews.

Hope this helps
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thank you both for your replies. I will pm you surreymum (clue in your name that it must be in or near Surrey!). KenR, when I was reading your descriptions I knew instinctively that it wouldn't be the nice posh bit I was going to, but the noisy bustly bit, and sure enough it is! I will check out all your suggestions - thank you very much for taking the time to list them all for me. :)