Did it work out of for Last Year?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mother night

Did it work out of for Last Year?

Post by mother night »

Dear All
How was all this last year? There seems to have been much 'horse-trading' this year to the change in policy- 11+ passes awarded academies etc.
How did it all work out in the end last year? Were children happy and are performing after settling well/ Is at as bad and as stressful as we think it all is :? Are there any happy stories out there to make us all feel a bit better?
I must admit that this has been an extremely difficult year for us- and my heart goes out to all facing appeals this year, but did the children from last year finally settle and become happy and productive in their allocated school?
andyb

Re: Did it work out of for Last Year?

Post by andyb »

Yes - eventually :wink: .

The first term was very tiring and quite stressful for all concerned, longer days, travelling to school, new people and experiences, minor illnesses due to being tired. Things settled down after Christmas and by Easter it felt like DC had been there for ever. DC is doing well academically, has made new friends in all year groups, has participated in sporting teams and has really matured since September. I can't believe that this time last year we were looking forward to induction days, buying uniform and new parents evenings!

So - don't expect an easy ride for the first few weeks or so. Tears, tantrums, have we done the right thing etc are all normal. Go with the flow - the good will very soon outweigh the bad. My experience has been that the school take every opportunity to praise, reward and encourage new Y7's and there is just the right balance of hand-holding without molly-coddling.

Of the 60+ children DC was at primary school with all but 1 have settled well at 5 different upper schools, 3 grammar schools and independent schools - I would say there are pretty good odds that your DC will settle well too :)
mother night

Re: Did it work out of for Last Year?

Post by mother night »

Hi andyb
Thanks for your response . Think your experience is pretty much what we are expecting- mood swings are already coming through but with much excitement,I think Dd is more concerned about how she's getting to get there. Only a walk to the station and a bus ride up a hill from 30 routes. It's funny what they become anxious about. I thik she wants us to quit work and ferry her- not an option!
Thanksfor the benefit of experience.
This is from my iPhone and has taken ages- humph to small technology!
Thanks again
MN