How much less have you or would you offer for a house?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: How much less have you or would you offer for a house?

Post by mike1880 »

That's from south west Birmingham into Solihull taking in a bit of semi-rural Worcestershire. Mostly pretty affluent.

Mike
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Mike, this is in one of the few affluent streets not far from Lincoln Cathedral.

Update:
The estate agent phoned at 7.30 tonight (obviously a woman!) to say no thank you to my offer, the budget was wonderful; she's had 7 viewings and a cash buyer wants a second viewing tomorrow. She then added that she'll let me know as soon as she finds something else for me. Is this a ploy or is she expecting me to offer more? Seems very odd that she would be telling me the vendor's said no without having had another offer doesn't it? Actually really sick about it and inclined to do nothing except carry on searching frantically for something else.... Buying- and selling- is a nightmare, but at least dealing with an owner one feels they're not quite as devious as estate agents (sorry to any DHs who are EAs:oops: )
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The vendor obviously thinks they can do better, if you think it's 15% overpriced then stick to your guns and look for something else. Personally I don't think this is a good time to pay over the odds for a house.

Mike
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Mike. I know you're right. It's just our options are very limited. We were assuming we'd end up making a second offer to be within 10% of the asking price but now really can't decide what to do apart from go and look at others. :(
Milla

Post by Milla »

don't be suckered into doing anything you're not happy with. I know that's easy to say from this position but it's easy to get caught up and not see things in perspective. You're in a good position, remember! Unless such good houses (good as in Will Be Good) are as rare as hens' teeth, in which case don't worry about hitting a target in your mind and go for it. In five years time, the few thousand here or there doesn't count in quite the same way. Your gut feeling of disappointment should tell you how much you do want it. However ... we "lost" a house a few years ago, and I was devastated. It then came back on the market and we leapt on it. Big mistake. A heart house rather than a head house and I was not happy living there. Saw it for what I wanted it be rather than for what it actually was.
Sorry, conflicting advice here. No one said it was easy!
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

I'm with Mike + Milla on this. If it were me: go back to the agent, thank them for getting back, leave the offer on the table, and ask them to ACTIVELY source other properties for you, as you are really keen to move. (This will be fed back to the vendor). Don't be tempted to increase your offer (for a variety of reasons, but mainly because Mike's right), but ask them to keep you informed ' for interest'. The buying process is inordinately sloooow in England, and the house won't be sold until the contract is signed, which could be weeks/months away...I would say time is on your side, and keep your head. If it doesn't work out, at a 'right' price for you, then it's not meant to be! As Milla says, easy when it's not us ...
Milla

Post by Milla »

when we bought this house, we were desperate as had already exchanged on our old house (the heart one - took TWO YEARS to sell, nine offers, falling for valid reasons - chains and so on - but it made the house appear stale since it was always reappearing :evil: ). 2 youngish children, me in a spin, panicking about losing buyer. We found this place and saw it the day it went on. Offered £25K under (about 10%) they accepted £10K under. We settled. We were in no position to bargain since didn't want the hassle of a double move - stuff in storage, the commitment and expense of renting, plus that this village is popular. We were lucky since have never regretted it. The (crazy) old lady vendor's son in law was an estate agent himself, though they used another (useless) agent, so my heart sank that we'd be dealing with 2 lots of shysters (sorry EAs). But he, wisely, advised her that just because we were the first people who had walked through the door, it might be the only, or best offer she got. Luckily, she took his advice (and then moved in with him :shock: what was he thinking :shock: ) and we dovetailed our moves.
So what I'm saying is to keep remembering the big picture, and five years down the line.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I don't think I'd leave the offer on the table, I'd make it clear you consider that offer has lapsed - leaving it on the table sort of takes the pressure off the vendor to make decisions and ties your hands if it does come back round to you. You can always make a second offer later. And definitely as PB mum says make it clear you want to see other properties.

Mike
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

I agree with Mike, Milla & PB Mum too. House prices aren't at their best and if the vendor isn't in a hurry they could just be trying to squeeze more out you. It also sounds to me as if the EA is trying to scare you into making a higher offer, or setting the scene for a bidding war between you and this other viewer? Another offer made could be lower than yours but the EA won't tell you that. Don't fall for it. Where we are, 7 viewings is not a lot, people view properties just because they want to keep an eye on the market, not because they're interested in that property.
Can't quite believe I'm writing this - I'm normally led by my heart do the exact opposite of what I'm saying, DH has to stop me from rushing in. :oops:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks everyone. That's great advice PBmum, I will emphasise that I need to find another house asap as I'm keen to move and ask to be kept in the loop. I think the main thing that worried me was the idea that it would be sold to someone else for 10% less which is what we'd be prepared to pay anyway, without us having a chance to offer it. If it goes for the asking price then we wouldn't pay that anyway so I'd be less bothered if you see what I mean.
I don't know how I could have forgotten just how stressful house buying (and selling) is. :shock:
Already I've had a phone message this morning asking me what I thought of an earlier house I viewed which was odd as I'd told the other woman last night who got back t ome on our offer. I phoned them back and the guy I spoke to said that must have been so and so last night. I looked her up on their website and it turns out she's the branch manager of another branch so I think it was all a ruse (not that it won't sell to someone else anyway...)

Ed. How do I ask to be kept in the loop without appearing as if I'm too interested?
Last edited by ourmaminhavana on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now