Never mind the football, what about that tennis match !

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Re: Never mind the football, what about that tennis match !

Post by Looking for help »

Sally-Anne wrote:It was a remarkable display, but it got a bit tedious towards the end, and you won't often hear me say that about a tennis match!
I agree, S-A, it eseemed to be a case of waiting for someone to make a mistake, and I didn't sit through the whole thing, just kept popping in and out, but still, it was an incredible display. Takes me back to the days of John Lloyd...I'm sure he kept having amazing epic matches, obv not as long as this one, and can't be certain he won any of them :o, but very entertaining anyway :D

Loved Nastase and McEnroe, not so much Borg or Connors
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just looked at the Order of Play for tomorrow, and poor John Isner! His doubles match today was cancelled for obvious reasons, so now he is scheduled to finish the Mahut match on Court 18 at 15.30, and then scheduled to play his doubles match on another court "not before 18.00".

I should imagine he is regretting the day he ever decided to become a tennis player right now.

On the subject of Borg, Connors, Nastase, McEnroe et al, you can still get to watch some of them in the last few days of Wimbledon if the BBC are kind to us, and there is also the exhibition event at the Albert Hall in December.

My favourites among the oldies are Henri Leconte (drop dead gorgeous, even now) and the wonderful Mansour Bahrami - he of the tricks:

He could quite possibly have been a Wimbledon winner, but he fell foul of the Iranian revolution.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Amazing sportsmen - lesser men would be in intensive care by now. Fantastic can't wait for tomorrow.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I love watching Bahrami - he's fab and had my boys in hysterics when they saw him on tv once.
zorro

Post by zorro »

We saw Bahrami play when we were on holiday in Vale do Lobo in Portugal a couple of years ago - hilarious!! My DH is Iranian so really feels for him as he too came over at the time of the revolution.
Pity none of the tennis stars these days seem to have a personality - Roger Federer being the worst imho, I can't stand him although he is a brilliant player.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

it was truly amazing to watch :shock: It will never happen again, and we'll be able to look back in years to come and say "I watched that match!"
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Apparently the American guy has to play a doubles match after he finishes this one.....I think he will change career after today :shock:
andyb

Post by andyb »

Looking for help wrote:I take my hat off to the incredible level of fitness these men must have reached, although bless the American, he seemed very tired, and yet still able to serve amazingly well.
I was watching while the score was in the 30's and I thought both players looked fit to drop - and they went on to play for another couple of hours :o I don't know what they'll be feeling like this morning. I will feel really sorry for the loser - it's a shame they both can't progress. 10/10 for effort and entertainment :D
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Unbelievable stuff, DS and I even watched it in the evening instead of the football! :D The idea of still being able to serve at well over 100mph after 7 hours is just totally ridiculous.

There are still some personalities around, but unfortunately not on court. Andy Roddick, for example, is an absolute hoot in press conferences and interviews.

Tennis, like most sports, has become such a business these days, and a lucrative business at that, that they can’t afford to mess around. Most top tennis players have been doing little else since they were about 6 years old, so it’s not surprising that it’s their whole world. I’m not saying this is a good thing, it’s just the way it is, sadly.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Looking for help wrote: Loved Nastase and McEnroe,
[/quote]

My all time fav players too :) must be an age thing!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now