Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Re: Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Post by pheasantchick »

Theres a good website who often have sets of 10 book for £10 (for example).

Its a 'BOOK' site for 'PEOPLE' who like books!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

we recently ordered loads of new books for the school library from there.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Another good one is for people who live in a 'Red House' - I've always found them exceedingly good with even the latest books on offer.
lambbone

Post by lambbone »

I've recommended Diana Wynne Jones before on a similar thread. But I'll do it again. Read her! She's wonderful! All the Chrestomanci books are wonderful, the Dalemark Quartet is wonderful, the stand-alone books are wonderful (some are for older readers but won't do your child any harm ). My kids have loved them from about your child's age - particularly the Chrestomanci books - but the oldest is 18 and still indulges from time to time. If his mother doesn't pinch them off him :wink: .
KB

Post by KB »

The Silver Sword is a great one.
Artemis Fowl series is still enjoyed by my much older DCs
Jane Austen
Milla

Post by Milla »

LOVED the Silver Sword and all of Ian Serrailer actually. What about the oldies like Noel Streatfield and E Nesbit, do they still "work" today? Little White Horse and so on?
KB

Post by KB »

Much prefer Classics & more traditional reading for children who have a reading age beyond their years. Many of the modern books for older teenagers address issues that they just aren't ready for - or even terribly interested in.
A great way to delay interest in boys is to get DD involved in dancing or horses :) so traditional stories with these themes are useful on several levels!
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I agree with you my daughter read the Heartland Series (horsey books).

It is always difficult to find books suitable for their years particularly if they are avid readers.

My oldest used to read my Jodi Picoult books at an age when I wasnt sure she was ready or appropriate I used to hide them!
Amber

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:Much prefer Classics & more traditional reading for children who have a reading age beyond their years. Many of the modern books for older teenagers address issues that they just aren't ready for - or even terribly interested in.
I do agree. I was recently tempted by a new book called 'iBoy' - as DS2 is one such, permanently grafted as he is to one Apple device or another. Happily I read the review first, which explained that the book opens with the brutal gang rape of a girl. This book is recommended for age 12 plus. Give me 'Tom's Midnight Garden' over that any day.
Eve16

Post by Eve16 »

Anything by Eva Ibbotson, The Dragonfly Pool is fantastic! (I couldn't put it down!) :D