Help needed costume

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Re: Help needed costume

Post by Snowdrops »

Actually Mike, it wasn't directed at you. (but you could get up early and do it, it doesn't need to be Mrs 1880 - JOKE!!)
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

I agree with notice periods and echo comments regarding working parents. At my DD ( year 2 ) school they have a sports day which consists of competitive races in the morning a family picnic at lunch time and team games in the afternoon. A whole day when really i would prefer to take a day's A/L during the 6 week holiday period .Sadly if you have a child in the Juniors then that is a seperate day so 2 days needed !!!!!

In the last 3 weeks we have had Bee Day, Pirate Day and Seaside Day it does seem too much BUT my DD has had fab days and really enjoyed herself.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

watfordmum66 wrote: In the last 3 weeks we have had Bee Day, Pirate Day and Seaside Day it does seem too much BUT my DD has had fab days and really enjoyed herself.
Bee day? :?
Amber

Post by Amber »

So far I'm totally happy with GS - three assorted parents events, all sensibly scheduled for the evening (and in one case with buffet for those who'd had to come straight from work ), and just one "creative" activity all year, sensibly scheduled for the Easter holiday. That's how it should be done.
Well I suppose if they were coming home from GS with demands for badger costumes you might wonder why you had bothered putting them through the 11+.
if you really, really cannot be bothered, then you can't be bothered, but please don't put down those people who can be
Not can't be bothered, actually: can't do it, full stop, because I cannot do it, and do not consider it a top priority to learn how to.
Personally, I never buy homemade cakes from anywhere - you just don't know how clean the kitchen is where it was made.
That's me told.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Yes !!!!!!

Children either had to dress as a bee or a flower
Head is retiring and loves bee keeping apparently
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Amber wrote:Well I suppose if they were coming home from GS with demands for badger costumes you might wonder why you had bothered putting them through the 11+.
That's what DT is for isn't it? Teach the little blighter to make his own badger costume (it would be more useful than French, of course).

Mike
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I am of the camp who will buy said costume from anywhere that will sell me one rather than make one :D

I am all for the dressing up stuff as long as you have enough notice to order said costume from well known online auction site - note if you opt for the free P&P ones, they can be very cheap, but you have to wait for ages, and therefore may miss the deadline (am about to have to buy something very soon from somewhere else if it doesn't turn up by Friday :( )

This is not for any reason other than the fact that I cannot make costumes, and live in fear of a sewing machine or a needle or glue gun. I always end up injured. I am not trying to impress anyone, nor will I resort to losing hours of sleep over something which is going to look
a) absolutely awful, and
b) fall apart within seconds of arriving on stage, if it were lucky enough to pass the getting dressed in stage :roll:

I know this can be a costly approach if you have several children, but hopefully as long as you hang on to the costumes you'll be able to re-use them on other siblings etc.

Now the make your own train thing on the other thread is just simpy horrible. We had to make a replica of a room with a burglar alarm once when some lucky child was in year 3 - OH was abroad for this, so it was left to me....our room was a shoebox and the alarm sang 'Happy Birthday' (all i could think of was to remove the speaking thingy in one of those noisy cards and incorporate it in some way into a circuit - oh it makes me feel sick just thinking about it now) However although ours was terrible compared to the lovely clever things everyone else brought in, we got top marks for ingenuity :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

watfordmum66 wrote:Yes !!!!!!

Children either had to dress as a bee or a flower
Head is retiring and loves bee keeping apparently
Now my daughter would love to be a flower and I could manage that.Just not too keen on making trains.
:(
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

We are still recovering from the trauma of having to make a castle followed by a siege weapon for DS's grammar school :twisted: :twisted:

My DD once had to go to school as a native American, that wasn't too bad (borrowed brown t-shirt from OH, turned inside out to hide logo, plaited hair) and ditto for DS as a 1930s school boy (grey short trousers, white shirt and combed hair with side parting) and then as a Roman (bed sheet to create a toga). For me, the worst dressing up days are the ones for World Book Day and school plays (I cheated once by buying a knight costumer as I just could not make a decent one).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rugbymum wrote: as a Roman (bed sheet to create a toga). .
We had some parties like that when I was a student.